CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1193823.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:03:45.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Babergh (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TM 11860 38142
TM 13 NW BENTLEY CHURCH ROAD
Church of St Mary
Parish Church. Probably C14 chancel and nave of C12 origin. C14 west tower and south porch, circa 1858 north aisle. C19 restorations. Random flint, ashlar, stone dressings, flint and stone panels to plinth and parapet of west tower. Red plain tiled roofs. Chancel:- Most features C14 but the small restored round headed window to north wall appears to have C12 rear splays. Stone parapet verge and cross to east wall, east window of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights, tracery over, chamfered 2-centred arch, moulded label with foliate stops, small round headed light to gable apex. South wall, central and western buttresses. Eastern restored window of 2 light lancets with pointed quatrefoil over, restored central lancet, western C19 trefoiled light, 2-centred head, moulded label with foliate stops. Nave:- South wall, buttressed at angles. Stone cross to gable apex. South wall eastern window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights, quatrefoil over, pointed segmental head and label. Central window of 2 trefoiled lights, trefoil over, 2-centred head, label with headstops. South porch:- Stone coping to gable, cross finial. Niche with ogee head and flat canopy below gable apex with C19/C20 female figure. Chamfered 2-centred head to outer arch, label with king and queen head stops. Modern Norman style south doorway with some original carved stones incorporated into the round head. Fragments of similar stonework on porch window cill. Side windows of single cinquefoiled lights, 2-centred heads. C19 North Aisle:- 3 windows each of 2 trefoiled lights, trefoils over, moulded labels with headstops. C19 North Chapel:- East rose window, star tracery, central cusped roundel. Caernarvon head to east doorway, vertically boarded door with ornate hinges. North window, 2 plate-lancets with roundel over. West Tower:- Of 3 stages. Flint and stone panels to crenellations and plinth. Buttresses to western angles. Bands below crenellations and bell chamber. Each face of the bell chamber has a window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, quatrefoil over, 2-centred head and label. Second stage, small trefoiled lights with square heads to north and south faces. Angled stair turret to east of south face with one slit light and one quatrefoil light. West window of 3 trefoiled ogee lights, vertical tracery over, 4 centred head. South Porch Interior:- Side purlin ridge board roof with small crown post. Scratch date IT 1736 on west jamb of outer archway. Church Interior:- Chancel:- Boarded and ribbed roof of 5 cants, moulded wall plate. Tesselated floor, the tesserae appear to be Roman. 2 floor slabs, (1) Tollemache son of Tollemache Duke Esq 1713 (2) Tollemache Duke 1690. Mosaic reredos, central cross flanked by symbols Alpha and Omega. C19 stained glass to windows. 2-centre arched doorway to north vestry. C19 choir stalls. Wooden altar rails of 7 two-light cinquefoiled ogee arches, moulded rail. No chancel arch, in its place a heavy timber tie or rood beam. Single hammer beam roof, moulded wall plates, purlins, braces to collars and king posts, carved spandrels. C19 coloured tiled floor. 2 floor slabs (1) Coyte and Beeston 1732 and 1735 (2) Much worn, dated 1722. C19 stained glass windows. Wooden octagonal pulpit, crocketed pinnacles to angle buttresses, moulded parapet, cinquefoiled panels, octagonal stem. south wall memorial, coloured marble, Hon. Stanhope Tollemache, son of 1st Baron Tollemache 1855-1934, shafts with Corinthian capitals support the moulded pediment, central shield of arms, pendant grapes and lion mask. Probably C15 octagonal font, panelled with carved virgin and child, angels with shields, 2 flowers and interlocked eternity rings. Octagonal stem, symbols of the 4 Evangelists at angles alternating with buttresses with moulded capitals and bases. Square base. Old, probably C12/C13 base slab, with outlines of a former stem. Simple chamfered 2-centred tower arch, fragments of medieval painting on jambs. Stop chamfered 2-centred stair turret arch, nailed board and muntin door with edge muntins. North arcade of 3 bays, octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases, chamfered 2-centred arches of 2 orders. North aisle side purlin ridge board roof of 3 bays, stone corbels, timber wall plates, arched braces to principal rafters and collars. Triptych, painted Exodus/Lords Prayer Boards in carved wooden frames on west wall. Hatchment above 2-centred arch, east wall. North vestry, boarded and ribbed 5 cant roof. One bench with poppyheads and carved animals on the arms. N Pevsner., Suffolk 1974.
Listing NGR: TM1186038142
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing