CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1193931
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1193931.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 22:02:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Stadhampton
National Grid Reference:
SU 60392 98813

Details

STADHAMPTON THE GREEN SU6098 (West side) 14/163 Church of St. John the Baptist 18/07/63

GV II

Church. C15 and C16. Tower 1737 by Richard Belcher, mason; restored and enlarged 1875 by E.G. Bruton. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; old plain-tile roofs. Chancel, aisled nave and west tower. Short Cl6 chancel has, on the north, a plain 4-centre arched doorway between square-headed windows of one and 2 lights with recessed spandrels, shallow cusping and deep casement mouldings; on the north is a plainer window of 2 arched lights; the 3-light C19 traceried east window is in Perpendicular style. A quoin at the south-east angle is inscribed 1600. The north side of the nave and north aisle have plain paired lancets of 1875 and a matching entrance door. The C15 north aisle has two square-headed windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights plus a traceried east window; the north doorway has a hollow-chamfered arch. All gable parapets are C19. The 2-stage tower in Baroque style, has a plinth, a moulded string and a solid panelled parapet rising above a cornice supported on moulded corbels; the corners have stone urn finials with flame terminals. The top stage has 4 round-arched openings, with projecting keyblocks, and the western doorway has projecting imposts and keyblock and is infilled with a smaller C19 doorway. Interior: C15 chancel arch and 3-bay north arcade with octagonal piers. C19 south arch and 3-bay south arcade with square capitals. Plain C19 roofs. C12 tub font. Figures from two early C15 brasses are mounted on north wall. Late C18 wall tablet, with carved achievement surrounded by ribbons, is signed "Henry Westmacott". Large early C18 black marble ledger to John and Margaret D'Oyly has carved shield of arms. Royal arms of Queen Elizabeth I has a gadrooned frame and retains much original colouring. C15 parish chest. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol. VII pp. 90-91; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p. 776)

Listing NGR: SU6039298813

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
248401
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 776
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1962), 90-91

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07447/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pauline A. Jorgensen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].