CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1193995
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1956
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1193995.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:05:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Swerford
National Grid Reference:
SP 37238 31130

Details

SWERFORD CHURCH END SP3731 9/183 Church of St. Mary 27/08/56 GV II* Church. Late C13. and C15, restored and enlarged 1846 by H.J. Underwood. 3-bay nave and north aisle, chancel, west steeple, south porch and north-east vestry. Marlstone ashlar and some rubble; lead and Welsh-slate roofs. Slated chancel has a traceried east window of 1859 in a Perpendicular opening and has, to south, 2 blocked C15 windows, and a 2-light square-headed window with ogee tracery and a low transom, below which are 4 small ogee-treaded lights; rubble walls and low buttresses may be C13. Parapetted ashlar nave has a Decorated south doorway, with continuous moulding and ballflower ornament plus an old plank door, sheltered by a late C14 porch with parapet, large gargoyles and a sundial; south wall has 3 large square-headed 3-light windows of c.1400 with quatrefoils in the tracery, and above them single-light clerestory windows with ogee tracery. North clerestory has 2 small C16 windows. C19 north aisle has trefoil-headed lancets and a 2-light east window with plate tracery. Late C13 ashlar 3-stage tower, with shallow buttresses to the first stage, has cusped lancets to south and, in the top stage, has cusped 2-light bell-chamber openings with transoms; broach spire, rising from a cornice with gargoyles at the angles, is probably slightly later. Contemporary lean-to extension to north has a trefoil-headed lancet above a small west door. Interior: late C14 chancel arch; C19 north arcade with octagonal piers; twin arches to tower and its extension of 3 and 2 chamfered orders dying into chamfered responds. Roofs all C19, with traceried spandrels in nave and aisle. C15 panelled font. Chancel floor, of black and white marble, may be late C17 and includes many C18 ledgers. Wall monuments in chancel to Jones family (mid C18) in an architectural surround with triangular pediment, and to the Travell family (erected 1775) with a garlanded urn. Fittings all C19 and plain. Hatchnent in nave. Fragments of medieval stained glass in tracery lights of south windows; C19 patterned east window with central pictorial panel. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.798).

Listing NGR: SP3723831130

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251999
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 798

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13477/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Sarah L McKenna. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].