CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1194364
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194364.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 15:13:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Fornham St. Martin
National Grid Reference:
TL 85233 66958

Details

TL 86 NE FORNHAM ST. MARTIN THE STREET

2/27 Church of St. Martin 14.7 55 II* -

Parish church. C12 and later, restored 1846. Nave, chancel, north porch, north vestry, and west tower; south aisle added in 1870. Rubble flint, with traces of external render; freestone quoins and dressings;Slate roofs. The nave has coursed rubble, partly herringbone on the north side, and some reused Roman tiles; over the vestry door and to the east side of the porch, remains of blocked Norman windows with chevron ornament to surrounds. 2-light C19 windows in Perpendicular style on north of nave. Fine early C16 red brick porch with diaper patterns in blue headers: diagonal buttresses; crow-stepped gable; above doorway, an empty niche with hood-mould; in the western buttress, a holy water stoup; blocked 2-light windows on each side; multiple mouldings to the arched doorway. Tower in 4 stages, the base and the crenellated parapet both decorated with a chequerwork of stone and black knapped flint. Diagonal buttresses at the west end faced in freestone. Gargoyles are spaced along the cornice below the parapet, and each face of the top stage has a high 2-light window with transome and cusping. The stair turret projects on the south side. The south aisle, almost as large as thenave, and separately roofed, was built in 1870, replacing an earlier south aisle dating from 1846. This is in the Perpendicular style. The interior of the nave and chancel mainly reflects the restoration of 1846, and all fittings are of that date. The nave is high, with a coved cornice and plastered barrel-vaulted roof; fleurons on the capitals of the chancel arch have been picked out in colour. Fine C15 octagonal font: blank shields in roundels alternating with traceried panels. Both east windows contain late Victorian memorial stained glass. C17 altar rails with turned balusters. Part of the base of the rood-screen seems to have been reused as a box-pew in the chancel. 2 funeral hatchments on the south wall of the chancel. A feature of the church are the 2 misericords built into the Victorian lectern and reading-desk, one showing St. Martin dividing his cloak with a beggar, the other the martyrdom of St. Thomas a Becket. These have been brought from elsewhere.

Listing NGR: TL8523366958

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
284091
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09047/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Rosemary Frew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].