CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1194471
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, WHITCHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194471.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:46:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, WHITCHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Harrow (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 18558 91329

Details

TQ 1891 9/13 5016

WHITCHURCH LANE Edgware Church of Saint Lawrence

(formerly listed under Stanmore)

21.9.51

I

Early C16. West tower. Flint rubble with dressed stone quoins. Brick crenellations. The main body of the church was rebuilt for the Duke of Chandos by John James 1714-16. Unassuming brick exterior with undecorated stone arched windows and broad Tuscan corner pilasters. The interior is lavishly painted in a continental Baroque manner. At the west end is a gallery built to seat the Duke and his family with a wide arched, semi-domed centre section. The nave has an elliptical barrel vault and opens without a break into the choir. At the east end is the retro-choir which is dominated by the curved wooden organ case and its flanking paintings. The opening, to the retro-choir is framed by finely carved pairs of columns and pilasters in antis surmounted by a broken cornice and segmental pediment. Both this woodwork and the organ case are attributed to Grinling Gibbons. The complete painting scheme is by Laguerre, with the exception of the Nativity and Pieta on the east wall and the transfiguration in the gallery which are attributed to Bellucci. The walls are painted with trompe l'oeil niches with figures of the Evangelists (north side) and Christian graces (south side). The nave ceiling has arches painted as if coffered dividing it into eight panels depicting the miracles and teaching of Christ. In the ceiling above the choir is an adoration of God represented by the name YAVEH in Hebrew, characters in the centre of a blaze of light. Other surviving original features include the box pews and decorative ironwork. Attached to the church on the north side is the Chandos Mausoleum decorated in a classical trompe l'oeil style by Brunetti. Sculptured monument to the 1st Duke on west wall (attributed to Grinling Gibbons) with a figure of the Duke bewigged and dressed as a Roman in centre separated by plain pilasters from his two wives, Mary and Cassandra who are kneeling on either side. Two monuments on south wall one a black sarcophagus placed against a white pyramid to Mary wife of the 1st Marquess of Carnarvon (died 1738) by Sir Henry Cheeve and the other a large white sarcophagus with curved fluted ends to Margaret, Marchioness of Carnarvon who died in 1760. Other C18 monuments in base of tower.

Listing NGR: TQ1855891329

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
202204
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/14037/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Kirkland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].