This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SMALLBRIDGE HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SMALLBRIDGE HALL

List entry Number: 1194489

Location

SMALLBRIDGE HALL, BURES ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bures St. Mary

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 277871

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Bures St Mary 1. 5377 Smallbridge Hall TL 93 SW 14/74 10.1.53. II*

2. One wing of a large red brick Elizabethan mansion, extensively restored or rebuilt in 1893-94 and again in 1920. The original manor house on the site was built before 1362 and was owned by Joan, widow of Sir Robert de Bures when she married Sir Richard Waldegrave. In 1383 Richard II granted a licence to crenellate the manor house. In 1555 it was demolished by Sir William Waldegrave who built the great mansion. Queen Elizabeth I visited the house on 2 occasions, once in 1561, for 2 days, and again in 1579. 2 storeys and attics. 5 window range on the south front, 2 and 3-light casements with lattice leaded lights. There is a central doorway with brick architrave and cornice. The front has a parapet and cornice rising to 4 gabled dormers. Roof tiled with 3 chimney stacks with 2 octaginal shafts. Gabled wings extend to the north, also with octagonal shafted chimney stacks. The interior has 4 panelled rooms, one on the ground storey has painted glass in the window with the arms of Sir William Waldegrave impaling the coat of his first wife Elizabeth Mildmay, and the date 1572. There is also a good C16 fire surround.

Listing NGR: TL9293933065

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 92939 33065

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194489 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 06:15:54.

End of official listing