TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1194923
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1953
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, DALTON SQUARE
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, GEORGE STREET
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, THURNHAM STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194923.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 22:10:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, DALTON SQUARE
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, GEORGE STREET
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, THURNHAM STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 47865 61552

Details

LANCASTER

SD4761NE DALTON SQUARE 1685-1/7/110 (South side) 22/12/53 Town Hall

GV II*

Town hall. 1906-9. By Edward Mountford, with exterior stone carving by Gilbert Seale and woodwork by Waring and Gillow. Sandstone ashlar, with steel, brick, and clinker ash concrete used structurally. Slate roofs. Large rectangular plan, with the principal front facing north towards Dalton Square, the west elevation to Thurnham Street, and the south elevation, with the entrance to the Ashton Hall, facing George Street. Edwardian Baroque style. 2 and 3 storeys, above a basement. The windows are glazing bar sashes. The entrance front is of 11 bays with a hexastyle portico of giant unfluted Ionic columns raised on sandstone steps. The tympanum of the pediment is filled by limestone figurative sculpture: in the centre is seated King Edward VII with sceptre and orb. The ground-floor masonry is rusticated and the round-arched doorway is flanked by round-headed niches. Above the balustraded parapet the clock tower is visible, rising behind the roof of the front range. Above the cornice of its lowest stage are aedicules facing each cardinal direction, with Tuscan columns. Across each corner angle is a short entablature supported by paired columns. Above the clock stage is a ribbed stone dome with a central finial. The long east and west facades are articulated by centrepieces treated as porticoes of engaged columns and triangular pediments, and by segmental pediments towards their outer ends. The south facade has at its centre 3 round-arched doorways to the Ashton Hall. Above are 2 pairs of Tuscan columns in antis, the lower part of the recess being filled between the columns by stonework pierced by round window openings. INTERIOR: the entrance hall contains a marble staircase rising to the principal rooms on the first floor. Spanish red marble is used in the lining of the main corridors on the ground floor, which contains, near the centre of the building, the former Magistrates' Courtroom. This has timber-panelled walls, a magistrates' bench, a dock with direct access to cells below, and has a saucer dome and top lighting. Across the front of the building at first-floor level is a suite of inter-connecting rooms divided by vertically-sliding timber screens: the Banqueting Chamber, Reception Room, and Mayor's Parlour. The walls are lined with panelling of Austrian oak and ceiled with segmental stucco tunnel vaults. The Mayor's Parlour contains a bolection-moulded marble fireplace, and an overmantel with a portrait of Lady Ashton. Swedish green marble is used to line the principal corridors on the first floor. The Council Chamber is lined with timber panelling, with engaged Corinthian columns, and has apsidal ends, a glazed saucer dome, and benches forming an oval. The Ashton Hall has a segmental vaulted ceiling, and galleries on 3 sides. At the west end is the stage, with an organ in an oak case carved with the Arms of Lancaster, raised on 4 pairs of unfluted Doric columns.

Listing NGR: SD4786561552

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383141
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03213/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Satterly. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].