This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1194925



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Feb-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Mar-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 383145

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SD4861 EAST ROAD 1685-1/5/114 (North side) 18/02/70 Royal Grammar School (Old School) (Formerly Listed as: EAST ROAD Royal Grammar School (old building only))


Grammar school and former headmaster's house. 1851. By Sharpe and Paley; extended considerably and sympathetically during the rest of the C19 with buildings designed by Paley and Austin, including the 4-bay block to the right, dated 1887. Snecked sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Picturesquely asymmetrical 7-bay plan with the entrance in the fifth bay and a tower to the left, behind which (at right angles to the main block) stands the former headmaster's house. The main block has 2 storeys above a basement; to left of the entrance was originally a covered playground and is indicated by 3 low 4-centred arches (now blocked). The upper storey is an attic with 6 coped gables, of which the one in the fifth bay, over the entrance, is higher and wider and carries a crown finial. The doorway has 2-centred moulded arch under a hoodmould; to either side is a small window with a cusped head, and above is an ornate niche containing a statue of the young Queen Victoria. The main ground-floor windows, 4 to the left and 2 to the right - have 3 arch-headed lights and a transom under a square hoodmould and a relieving arch. The first-floor window above the doorway has 4 lights of equal height with a square niche above. The other windows have 3 arch-headed lights, of which the centre one is higher. Under them all runs a string course. To the left of a strongly-projecting buttress rises a square 4-storey battlemented tower with a pyramidal roof and windows corresponding to those in the main block on the level of the basement, ground floor and attic, plus a paired arch-headed window in the top storey. The former headmaster's house also picturesquely asymmetrical: of 2 storeys and gabled attics, its plan follows medieval precedent with a 2-storey hall range, with the doorway on the left, placed between a narrower left-hand cross-wing with a 2-storey canted bay window and a 2-bay right-hand cross-wing. The chimney stacks are on the gables and between the hall range and the left wing. All the windows are mullioned, and those on the ground floor also have transoms. INTERIOR: to left of the entrance, the Old School Library (originally the 'Big School') is a tall, 3-bay room with a further bay (under the tower) beyond a pair of 2-centred, double-chamfered arches, of which one chamfer dies into the octagonal pier. The window of this end bay has glass, by W Wailes and dated 1852, containing 6 medallions showing scenes from English history, eg St Alban, King Canute, William the Conqueror and Hereward. The ceiling has exposed joists of thin section, chamfered with plain stops, borne by cross-beams supported on cusped brackets. Behind the library is the staircase, whose solid stone steps are carried on iron beams and strings and whose iron balusters are reminiscent of Gothic colonnettes. The attic rooms, which contain dormitories, are ceiled at the level of the upper collar. This is supported with a king post and diagonal struts carried on a lower collar. HISTORY: Before 1852 the school was housed in a purpose-built school-house, dated 1682, which stood to the west of St Mary's Church (qv)

Listing NGR: SD4836361536

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 48363 61536


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194925 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 11:22:26.

End of official listing