20, CASTLE PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1194943
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Mar-1995
Statutory Address:
20, CASTLE PARK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1194943.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 23:35:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
20, CASTLE PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 47383 61756

Details

LANCASTER

SD4761NW CASTLE PARK 1685-1/6/53 (South side) 22/12/53 No.20 Castle Park House (Formerly Listed as: CASTLE PARK No.20 (with stables))

GV II*

House. 1720, altered C19. Built for William Birdsworth, a lawyer, and his wife Margaret. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, roughcast on the front elevation and lined out as ashlar blocks between chamfered quoins. Slate roof with a small flat-roofed dormer, and gable chimney stacks. 3 storeys above cellar and attics and 5 bays, with a central square projection at the rear to contain the staircase. All the windows have moulded architraves and 8-pane sashes. Above the central first-floor window is a datestone inscribed: BW+M 1720. The elaborate painted stone doorcase has engaged Ionic columns supporting a pulvinated frieze, an entablature with dentils, and a segmental open pediment, panelled both in its soffit and its tympanum. Its door has 12 raised and fielded panels, and is recessed between similarly panelled reveals. INTERIOR: entrance hall has marble floor. Double-depth room to left has very good painted raised and fielded panelling with Corinthian pilasters. Right-hand room has similar unpainted panelling, but with Ionic pilasters. The room was probably altered in the C19 when a front cloakroom was created and the rear wall extended. The first floor is divided conventionally and has similar panelling with Doric pilasters. The second floor has a matching dado which is said to be a C19 alteration. The fine dogleg staircase rises to attic level and has full-height panelling until the half-landing above the first floor and thereafter a panelled dado. It has an open string with carved scrolled brackets, 2 turned balusters per tread, and a ramped handrail. HISTORY: built by William Birdsworth, a lawyer, and subsequently owned by Allan Harrison, the Recorder of Lancaster between 1731 and 1747, who probably added the doorcase and made many of the internal alterations, including the link with No.22 (qv) to the left. His daughter and heiress, Ann, married Lt. Col. George Wilson, the builder of Abbot Hall, Kendal. The house was owned by the Satterthwaite family from c1780 to 1932.

Listing NGR: SD4738361754

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383085
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02662/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Satterly. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].