PENNY'S ALMSHOUSES INCLUDING CHAPEL AND SCREEN WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1195001
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Mar-1995
Statutory Address:
PENNY'S ALMSHOUSES INCLUDING CHAPEL AND SCREEN WALL, KING STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1195001.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 22:23:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
PENNY'S ALMSHOUSES INCLUDING CHAPEL AND SCREEN WALL, KING STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 47542 61625

Details

LANCASTER

SD4761NE KING STREET 1685-1/7/152 (West side) 22/12/53 Penny's Almshouses, including chapel and screen wall (Formerly Listed as: KING STREET Penny's Hospital (Nos.1 to 12 consecutive)) (Formerly Listed as: KING STREET Chapel at Penny's Hospital) (Formerly Listed as: KING STREET Entrance gateway at Penny's Hospital)

GV II*

Almshouses. 1720, altered early C20 and restored 1974. Built by the executors of the will of William Penny. Sandstone rubble boundary wall and ashlar entrance archway with ashlar dressings, the dwellings mostly covered by roughcast render, with green slate roofs. 2 parallel rectangular ranges at right-angles to the street, each comprising 5 units with a 6th added at the west end of both, forming a narrow courtyard closed by a chapel at the west end and a screen wall with entrance arch at the east end. The entrance archway of 3 bays with rusticated quoins, shallow Tuscan pilasters framing the centre, pulvinated frieze, moulded cornice, and shaped gable with hollow-moulded coping and ball finials. The central gateway is segmental-headed and has a robust rusticated surround, and wrought-iron gates with scrolled cresting; the original square lettered tablet in the gable has been recently replaced with a modern one copying the Latin inscription. The houses are single-storeyed, each unit of one bay with a window to the left of the door. The doorways have quoined jambs and double lintels, and the large cross-windows have slightly recessed flat-faced mullions and transoms, and leaded glazing. The roofs have coped gables with ball finials on the apex, and low rebuilt chimneys on the ridge. The added units at the west end are in matching style but on a larger scale. The courtyard has flagstone paving with gutters running along the front of the dwellings crossed by flagstone bridges to the doors. The chapel at the west end presents a shaped gable facade of coursed squared sandstone, with a keyed round-headed doorway in the centre approached by 3 steps with simple curved side-railings, a square tablet over the door inscribed FORGET NOT/ THE CONGREGATION /OF THY POOR, and a square bellcote on the apex of the gable, with a ball finial. The 2-bay side walls have cross-windows, and the west end has a tripartite round-headed window (but these are not visible from the courtyard). INTERIOR: the chapel has an oak dado of raised and fielded panels, and a roof truss with tie-beam and sturdy turned queen-posts. The altar table bears the date '1928', the probable date of restoration. HISTORY: William Penny (1646 - 1716) occupied various positions on the Town Council and was three times Mayor of Lancaster. When King Street was widened in the early C20 the two almshouses nearest the road were demolished, the screen wall rebuilt in its present position, the chapel shortened, and two new almshouses built next to the chapel. The chapel and entrance gateway were listed on 18.2.70.

Listing NGR: SD4754261625

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383186
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/15271/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Thoume. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].