MOOR HOSPITAL, NEW BLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1195079
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1994
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Mar-1995
Statutory Address:
MOOR HOSPITAL, NEW BLOCK, QUERNMORE ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1195079.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 04:36:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
MOOR HOSPITAL, NEW BLOCK, QUERNMORE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 49474 61672

Details

LANCASTER

SD46SE QUERNMORE ROAD 1685-1/1/253 (North side) 24/01/94 Moor Hospital, New Block (Formerly Listed as: QUERNMOOR ROAD Lancaster Moor Hospital Mental Hospital)

II

Mental hospital. 1882, altered C20. Built as an annexe to the County Lunatic Asylum. Architect AW Kershaw. Squared coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Gothic Revival style. Symmetrical plan. Central 3-storey block with a 6-storey tower, and to each side a central spine links 2 ward wings at right angles, these each have 3-bay canted front walls with hipped roofs. The inner wings are of 3 storeys and the outer ones of 2 storeys. Between the main blocks each link has a central subsidiary gabled cross-wing. The tower has corner pinnacles and its upper part is treated as a bell stage with glazed lancet openings. At ground floor level an open porch projects forwards and has pointed arches and octagonal corner pinnacles. To each side the block has 4 bays, the inner bays narrow, but the outer bays with paired windows. The ground- and first-floor windows are set within a blind arcade of chamfered pointed arches which rise through 2 storeys. The ground-floor windows have trefoiled ogee heads and the upper windows are pointed. Below the apex of each super-arch is a window comprising a stone cross within a circle. The outer corners of the main block have pinnacles. The windows are partly timber sashes without glazing bars and partly aluminium replacements. Both links to the 3-storey wings have had C20 flat-roofed lift towers added near to their outer ends, and both wings have C20 flat-roofed extensions against their right-hand return walls. The links to the outer 2-storey wings have also been altered: the front wall of the right-hand half of the right-hand (north-east) link has been rebuilt, as has part of the left-hand link. HISTORY: built as an annexe to the former County Lunatic Asylum, which was developed from 1816 onwards on a site to the south of Quernmore Road. The earlier parts of the complex are separately listed as Moor Hospital, Blocks 40, 41, 42, 44 and 46 (qv).

Listing NGR: SD4947461672

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383290
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/15271/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Thoume. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].