SOUTH GATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1195304
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1951
Statutory Address:
SOUTH GATE, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTH GATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1195304 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 16:31:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
SOUTH GATE, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 62199 19157

Details

KING'S LYNN

TF6219SW LONDON ROAD 610-1/11/135 (West side) 01/12/51 South Gate

GV I

South Gate to town. Late C13, in dangerous condition by 1416 and repaired with stone (surplus to requirements of the Lady Chapel of St Nicholas). 1437 Robert Hertanger was contracted to rebuild the gate and in 1520 the gate was substantially restored and partly rebuilt by Nicholas and Thomas Harmer, finally altered by provision of pedestrian doorways C19 and restored 1982. English bond brick with ashlar dressings, the south front ashlar-skinned. 3 storeys with set-offs between each floor. North side. Tall central pointed arch unmoulded to jambs, wave moulded to arch. 4-centred C19 pedestrian passage arches right and left, that to left blocked with a late C20 glazed door. Second floor with two 3-light round-headed windows under square hoods. Crenellated parapet with corner turrets at each corner. East and west faces without entrances but punctuated with single or 2-light windows. South front mainly of 1416. Tall central wave-moulded arch flanked by C19 pedestrain passageways with crenellated parapets, now blocked. Second floor with two 3-light round-headed windows under square hoods. String courses between each floor are continued from earlier facades. INTERIOR. In 1841 the west side was a through passage and the winder staircase in north-west corner removed, replaced 1984 with a steel winder. Original disposition restored in 1984: rectangular heated rooms to ground and first floors at east and west sides, large upper room over entire width. West ground floor room. Fireplace in west wall under depressed 4-centred stone arch with hollow mouldings. Pointed brick relieving arch above. Former bread oven right of this and right again a lavabo with water outlets to outside. C20 bridging beams and floor above. First floor rooms of similar disposition: a fireplace, privy hole and 3 circular gun-ports in splayed recesses. Second floor room with fireplaces to east and west walls, splayed window embrasures and rere arches and shallow pitched roof with 2 tiers butt purlins. Only one of the large tie beams is not of 1983-4. Scheduled Ancient Monument.

Listing NGR: TF6219919157

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
384203
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/00725/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].