Church of St Faith

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1195311
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1951
Statutory Address:
Church of St Faith, Gayton Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Faith
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1195311.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:18:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Faith, Gayton Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 63615 20396

Details

TF62SW 610-1/1/282

KING'S LYNN Gaywood GAYTON ROAD (South side) Church of St Faith 01/12/51 II* Parish church. Norman origins, west tower c.1370, when remainder rebuilt, transepts reworked late C16. Chancel re-roofed 1909, transepts restored, vestry and south chancel chapel added, by W.D Caröe. 1923-26 nave rebuilt and aisles added. South-west nave chapel 1989. Brick with ashlar dressings. Plain tiled roofs.

Three-stage west tower, with diagonal stepped buttresses. Y-tracery west window. Slit lights to ringing chamber and cusped two-light belfry windows. Crenellated parapet. Stair turret to south east. North porch rebuilt in stone 1923-26 re-using Norman arch. One order of shafts with scalloped capitals. Inner arch with incised beakhead decoration, outer with chevron. Nailhead in hood mould. Inner doorway with double wave mouldings. Two three-light panel tracery aisle windows. Gabled aisle roofs. Gabled transepts now engaged by aisles, with kneelers and two-light Y-tracery north and south windows, the latter cusped and C14. North chancel with large vestry. South chancel with 1909 red-brick chapel terminating to east in a concave gable above a round-headed window with square hood. Remainder of chancel rendered. Two-light cusped C14 Y-tracery south window. Three-light reticulated east window, also cusped.

INTERIOR: four-bay arcade of 1923-26: lozenge piers and four-centred arches. Barrel-vaulted timber nave roof. Chancel roof with arched braces to collars, 1909. West tower arch triple chamfered. Octagonal late C14 font, the stem with two-light cinquefoiled tracery to each facet. Mouldings lead up to bowl with alternating facets of encircled tracery and C17 inscriptions. Two C17 painted panels in south aisle: one of Queen Elizabeth arriving in Tilbury with the Spanish Armada in the background experiencing difficulties at the hands of the English, the other of the discovery of the Gunpowder plot. Bequeathed by the rector, Thomas Hare, who died in 1634. (These not closely examined as covered at time of Review).

Listing NGR: TF6361520396

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
384107
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/14154/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Francis Polaine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].