CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1195367
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, BASWICH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1195367.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:27:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, BASWICH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Stafford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 94388 22297

Details

STAFFORD

SJ92SW BASWICH LANE, Baswich 590-1/2/103 (West side) 16/01/51 Church of Holy Trinity

GV II*

Church. C13 chancel arch; C15 tower with C18 bell stage; 1740 nave and chancel; late C20 transepts and north vestry. MATERIALS: brick with ashlar dressings and tile roof; ashlar tower and brick transepts and vestry. EXTERIOR: chancel has ashlar plinth, quoins and impost band, coped gable; round-headed window has ashlar sill, brick apron, and ashlar arch with key. Transepts have narrow full-height lights. 4-bay nave has similar details to chancel, but with Medieval diagonal buttresses and ashlar wall ends to west , entrance to left end of south side has boldly rusticated Tuscan surround and paired 4-fielded-panel doors, round window above has lower half blocked; north side has blind windows with lunettes. Tower has 2 diagonal buttresses; blocked west entrance with inserted window; 3-light window with simple Perpendicular tracery, south entrance up brick and ashlar stair, which continues to segmental-headed gallery entrance; round-headed louvred bell openings with keys; top cornice and coped parapet. INTERIOR: chancel has 2 king-post trusses with paired struts; ceiled transepts have diagonal buttresses to chancel arch, with has primitive capitals and Early English double-chamfered arch; nave is ceiled, with west gallery on 4 iron columns in square, the centre projecting; fielded panelling to sill level. FITTINGS: chancel has C18 altar rails to 3 sides with spiral balusters and moulded rails; north transept has ex-situ Levett family pew of 1812 raised on iron columns with stick-baluster stair, 3 panels and cornice; nave has C18 3-decker pulpit with fielded panelling. MONUMENTS: Brian and Jehanna Fowler, 1587, ex-situ painted chest tomb with tapering square balusters and shields, lettering to cornice; several C18 and C19 wall tablets to Fowler and Chetwynd families; bequest board dated 1733 and 1830. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Nairn J: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: 248; Shell Guides: Thorold H: Staffordshire, A Shell Guide: London: 1978-: 157).

Listing NGR: SJ9438822297

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383921
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)
Thorold, H, 'Shell County Guides' in Staffordshire, (1978), 157

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01812/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Ayre. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].