This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1195538



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Islington

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 368750

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3282SE CITY ROAD 635-1/76/265 (East side) 29/12/50 Wesley's Chapel


Methodist chapel; 'The Mother Church of World Methodism'. 1777-1778; the portico 1814-15; the rusticated piers, qoins, cornice to the outer bays, and stone architraves to the upper windows of 1891 by Elijah Hoole; the single-storey wings to either side probably of 1899 by Hoole. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond with dressings of yellow brick and stone, portico of stone, hipped roof of Welsh slate. Two storeys, five-window range. Central prostyle portico with coupled Greek Doric columns to either side, entablature with triglyph frieze and paterae modelled with the dove of peace; modified pediment to blocking course. The main facade is articulated by a slightly projecting centrepiece of three bays with broad rusticated piers to ground floor and chamfered quoins above; and by rusticated piers to the outside of the outer bays. Round-arched windows to both floors, those to ground floor with gauged brick heads and set in recessed, round-arched panels also with gauged brick heads; brick storey band. Upper windows round-arched with stone architraves, panelled aprons; stone cornice, fluted over the centrepiece; panelled parapet with stepped coping; hipped roof. Each side wing has a flat-arched entrance with architrave and cornice on consoles, double panelled doors, stone panel above, string course, cornice and parapet. Side walls and east end of brown brick, apse of stone. INTERIOR: : a single space originally, with the westernmost bay glazed off c.1975; shallow curved apse flanked by Corinthian columns, the round arch with panelled and ornamented soffit and floral decoration to the spandrels; reredos of three panels with fluted engaged columns and pilasters, and central open pediment. Gallery on three sides, curved at the west end, carried on Roman Doric columns of jasper, dating from 1899, with triglyph frieze and paterae modelled with the dove of peace; Greek key pattern to the gallery. Some of the original wooden columns are ranged along the west wall. Flat ceiling enriched with decorative plasterwork, a replica of the original destroyed by fire in 1879: central circular panel surrounded by rectangular panels and decorated with anthemion and acanthus ornament and Vitruvian scrolls. Fine mahogany panelled pulpit on an arcaded base with engaged and fluted columns at the corners: the pulpit being the top stage of the original three-decker. Oak pews throughout with openwork roundels in the pew ends, 1899. Much C19 and C20 stained glass, notably the second window from the east in the south wall, by Frank O. Salisbury, 1930; the two windows flanking the west door, 'Sir Galahad', and 'Elijah on Mount Carmel', by Frank O.Salisbury, 1932 and 1934 respectively; 'Saint John', at the east end of the north gallery, by Henry Holiday, 1900; and the two gallery windows in the north wall, 'The Wesleys' conversion', by James Powell and Sons, 1924, and 'John Wesley preaching' by Osborne and Philips, 1947. The interior of the Founder's Chapel, which is dated 1899 and much restored, is a single space with panelled dado, architraves to doors and windows, coved and panelled ceiling with central lantern, arched alcove to north, and chimneypiece with Art Nouveau detail, possibly inserted. (Information from Philip Temple, Survey of London).

Listing NGR: TQ3281082253

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 32841 82274


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1195538 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 01:04:03.

End of official listing