BETHESDA METHODIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1195821
Date first listed:
19-Apr-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Mar-1993
Statutory Address:
BETHESDA METHODIST CHAPEL, ALBION STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BETHESDA METHODIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1195821.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 00:27:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
BETHESDA METHODIST CHAPEL, ALBION STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Stoke-on-Trent (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 88228 47351

Details

STOKE ON TRENT

SJ8847 ALBION STREET, Hanley 613-1/8/45 (South side) 19/04/72 Bethesda Methodist Chapel (Formerly Listed as: ALBION STREET, Hanley Bethesda Methodist Church)

GV II*

Methodist chapel. 1819 with additions of 1859 and 1887. Brick with stuccoed facade, and slate roof. 2-storeyed. Pedimented entrance front to Albion Street, with rusticated lower storey and full-length portico with heavy cornice carried on paired fluted Corinthian shafts. Paired doorways to left and right behind, the inner doors having entablatures carried on consoles, and the outer doorways with tall architraves. Central window with entablature carried on paired consoles. Palladian window over, with Corinthian shafts beneath central pedimented gable. Outer windows are sashes with margin lights. Rear of chapel is Flemish bond brickwork with buff headers. 5 bays and shallow curved apse. Windows with margin lights and stuccoed heads with expressed keystones (blocked to first floor). Central section of apsidal end expressed by raised section to cornice, with panelled decoration. INTERIOR: Previous description records a continuous raking gallery with a plaster vaulted soffit, carried on cast-iron columns. The balustrade is panelled, above a minimal Doric entablature with widely-spaced paterae. On the street side, the gallery is dominated by a large organ in a baroque case. Beneath it, at ground floor level, is a fine octagonal pulpit reached by two opposed flights of stairs, with cast-iron balustrades and hardwood handrails. The pulpit stands within a contemporary communion rail, of similar construction to the stair balustrades, defining an oval snactuary. Both are by Robert Scrivener, 1856. Half-glazed timber screens separate the stairs on the street front from the body of the church. With its pews and minor fittings largely intact, the interior stands virtually as it was finished in 1859 save for a replacement ceiling. The burial crypt below contains a monument to Rev. William Driver, 1831.

Listing NGR: SJ8822847351

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
384364
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03134/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Peach. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].