Church of St John

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1196368
Date first listed:
13-Jan-1971
Statutory Address:
Church of St John, East Beach, Lytham St Annes, FY8 5EX

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1196368.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2021 at 03:09:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St John, East Beach, Lytham St Annes, FY8 5EX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Fylde (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 37110 27151

Details

SD3627 621-1/4/55

LYTHAM ST ANNES Lytham EAST BEACH, (north side) Church of St John

13/01/71

GV II* Church. 1848-49, by E.H. Shellard and among his best works; transepts added and chancel extended 1856-57 by the same architect; altered. Sandstone ashlar with Cumberland slate roof. Early English style. Narrow nave with wide north and south aisles, south-west steeple attached to south aisle, north and south transepts, chancel with south chapel and north vestry.

The four-stage tower, with clasping corner pilasters, a weathered band over the first stage, string-courses to the upper stages and a corbel table to the belfry, has a two-centred arched doorway with set-in shafts and a hoodmould with figured stops (king to left, bishop to right), and double doors with ornamental scrolled strap hinges; very small lancets to the second and third stages; two louvred lancet belfry windows; and a broach spire with lucarnes on two levels. The aisles have low buttressed side walls, sillbands and coupled lancet windows with linked hoodmoulds; the nave has a buttressed west end with two tall lancet windows, and a pilastered clerestory with small triple-lancets; the transepts have angle buttresses, three very narrow lancets and a circular window above (wheel in south, multifoil in north); the south chapel (formerly the choir vestry) has a war memorial plaque in place of a former south doorway, and lancet windows of one-, three- and one-lights; and the chancel has an east window of three stepped lancets with a sillband and linked hoodmoulds.

INTERIOR: six bay aisle arcades of double-chamfered two-centred arches on short cylindrical piers with moulded annular caps which include a dog-tooth band; roof of arch-braced collar trusses with wallposts rising from wall-shafts on figured corbels; similar roof to chancel, with curved windbraces to the purlins; former chancel screen removed to form baptistery at west end of north transept; box pews - quite unusual for the date - many with original doors and painted numbers (two at the rear of each aisle lettered "FREE"), and brass umbrella brackets; stone Gothic-style War Memorial dado in south chapel (with plaque recording that it was dedicated by William Temple, Bishop of Manchester, in 1921, the second year of his episcopacy).

HISTORY: site donated by Clifton family of Lytham Hall (q.v.), church built by public subscription.

Listing NGR: SD3711027151

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
385273
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/251915
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/251913
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/42429

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01656/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G M Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].