MALTINGS 70 METRES NORTH WEST OF NORTHGATE BREWERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1196413
Date first listed:
27-Nov-1975
Statutory Address:
MALTINGS 70 METRES NORTH WEST OF NORTHGATE BREWERY, NORTHGATE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1196413.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 05:07:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
MALTINGS 70 METRES NORTH WEST OF NORTHGATE BREWERY, NORTHGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Newark
National Grid Reference:
SK 80053 54596

Details

NEWARK ON TRENT

SK85SW NORTHGATE 619-1/4/316 (North West side) 27/11/75 Maltings 70M north west of Northgate Brewery

GV II

Maltings, now disused. Dated 1864 by datestone on north east gable inscribed "P W Archt. 1864". Disused since 1964. Red brick with yellow brick dressings and gabled and hipped slate and artificial slate roofs. Cogged plinth, first floor band and dentillated eaves. Openings have moulded brick segmental polychrome heads. Most of them are barred. Gabled malthouse range, 3 storeys plus basement, has an addition of 1934 covering most of the north west side. To its right, 3 openings on each floor, the top ones blank. On the south east side, between the main kiln and the water tower, 4 windows on each floor. Pilastered north east gable has 2 tall segment headed recesses. Central flat headed loft door flanked by single windows and above, a hipped wooden hoist canopy with a 9 pane window, flanked by single windows. On the ground floor, 3 windows. South west gable has 3 openings on each floor, the second floor ones blocked, and an additional opening in the gable. Main kiln, to south east, 2 storeys; 2 window range. Hipped roof with 2 pyramidal cowls with wooden hoods and copper fantails in the form of hop leaves. Round wall ties inscribed " T & W Bradley, Newark". 2 openings on each side, the lower ones with moulded heads. Right return has a doorway to the furnaces. Small kiln, to north east, has pyramidal roof with similar hood and fantail. 2 openings on each floor. In the left return angle, a 3 storey hipped water tower with single windows on the upper floors and a door below. Interior has wooden floors on round cast iron columns to the lower floors and timber posts to the upper ones. Stone winder stair. Kilns have perforated tile floors and queen post trussed roofs. Kiln furnaces and steeping tanks remain. (Buildings of England: E Williamson: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 200).

Listing NGR: SK8005354596

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
385167
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 200

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/03015/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Ralph Bennett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].