WEST CITY WALLS AND TILE TOWER ADJOINING AT SOUTH WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1197002
Date first listed:
01-Jun-1949
Statutory Address:
WEST CITY WALLS AND TILE TOWER ADJOINING AT SOUTH WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST CITY WALLS AND TILE TOWER ADJOINING AT SOUTH WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1197002 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 02:02:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEST CITY WALLS AND TILE TOWER ADJOINING AT SOUTH WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NY 39631 56120

Details

CARLISLE

NY3956SE CARLISLE CASTLE 671-1/6/4 West City Walls and Tile Tower 01/06/49 adjoining at south-west

GV I

City walls and interval tower. C12 walls extensively repaired up to C20; C12 tower rebuilt c1483 for the Duke of Gloucester (Richard III) with C19 and C20 repairs. Walls of mixed red and calciferous sandstone blocks (some stone re-used Roman) on chamfered plinth, with external buttresses repaired in C15 tile bricks. Internal face of C19 brick. Tower has plinth of same materials as walls but rebuilt in C15 tile brick. Flat flagged roof. High wall with projecting 2-storey square tower; parapet walk carried up by steps over tower. The wall is straight and joins the south-west angle of the outer bailey of Carlisle Castle. Upper parts of the wall clearly show the different repairs. The inside of the wall had its facing stones removed in 1745 and this was replaced in brick in the 1830s. The tower has slit vents in each face, the right return has a red sandstone panel, now weathered, originally thought to have had the emblem of a white boar (Richard's coat-of-arms). Rear of tower flush with wall has two C15 elliptical-arched doorways. C19 stone surround openings. INTERIOR: has steps to tower and upper chambers; brick vaulted ground floor, mural chambers and repaired C15 fireplaces. Along the parapet coping of the wall are inscriptions of various C19 soldiers serving in the garrison of the castle; built into the south end of the wall is a War Department boundary stone. HISTORY: The tower formerly guarded the Irish Gate; demolition of the gate in 1811 left this isolated part of the West Walls. Houses were built against part of the walls in the early C19 and joist holes for floors can be seen cut into the Tile Tower and wall; the last of these were demolished in 1952. For full details see McCarthy et al (1990). For the remainder of this side of the city walls, see West City Walls, West Walls (qv).

Listing NGR: NY3963156120

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
386574
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
McCarthy, M R, Summerson, H R, Annis, R G, Carlisle Castle : A Survey And Documentary History, (1990)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03184/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Samantha Jones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].