WEST CITY WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1197151
Date first listed:
01-Jun-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
WEST CITY WALLS, WEST WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST CITY WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1197151.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 19:08:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEST CITY WALLS, WEST WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NY 39902 55829

Details

CARLISLE

NY3955NE WEST WALLS 671-1/10/310 (West side) 01/06/49 West City Walls (Formerly Listed as: Remains of City Walls at West Walls)

GV I

City walls. C12 with extensive rebuilding and refacing of 1746, 1876-7, 1985, 1988-9. Squared blocks of red sandstone with some calciferous sandstone (some re-used Roman stone), partly with chamfered plinth and partly battered. Gently curving wall which projects at its northern end, built against a river terrace as a retaining wall; the West Walls street is at the higher level behind and the pavement forms the parapet walk along the wall. The northern projection was rebuilt or refaced in 1876-7, when the nearby railway was re-aligned; set into the end of this part of the wall is the inscription stone WEST WALLS. Off-centre external stone steps to the Town Dyke Orchard were added in 1883; the parapet between the steps and the projection was rebuilt in new red sandstone in 1985. Further south a number of buildings were constructed against the wall and these were demolished in 1988; the wall behind needed partial rebuilding and this was done with red sandstone from the demolished buildings. The foundation stone from each demolished building was incorporated; THE FAWCETT SCHOOLS (dated 1851 in Roman numerals); the mayor and date 1879 for the police station extension, the mayor and date 1840 for the police station; recording the restoration, a stone with the mayor's name and date 1988, the unveiling was on 21 April 1989. At southern end of the exposed wall are the Sallyport steps which were added c1813 and nearby is the medieval sallyport opening, now merely an arched recess. The wall continues beyond the Sallyport steps, but is concealed by buildings; for the listing of the remainder of the wall to the south see Nos 10-22 West Walls (qv) and for the northernmost stretch see under Carlisle Castle (qv). For an engraving of the West Walls when complete in 1745 by the Buck Brothers, see J Cornforth, Country Life, (1978).

Listing NGR: NY3990255828

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
386918
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 13 April, (1978), 959

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/12055/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].