5, CASTLE STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1197357
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
31-Jan-1994
Statutory Address:
5, CASTLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 5, CASTLE STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1197357.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 19:57:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
5, CASTLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Bridgwater
National Grid Reference:
ST 29978 37171

Details

BRIDGWATER

ST2937SE CASTLE STREET 736-1/10/20 (South side) 24/03/50 No.5 (Formerly Listed as: CASTLE STREET (South side) Nos.3 AND 5)

GV I

House, now offices, one property with No 3 (qv) to the left. 1723-8 for James Brydges, Duke of Chandos. By Benjamin Holloway or Fort and Shepherd, the Duke's London surveyors. Refronted late C18/early C19. Flemish-bond brick, stone quoins, cills, stepped voussoirs, plinth capping and doorcase; double Roman tile roof continuous with No 3, hipped to the right and rear with brick stacks to left of right return and rear. Double-depth plan. 3 storeys with basement; one-window range. Windows, with some crown glass, to right of centre; 3/6-pane sash to the second floor, 6/6-pane sashes below and a flat arch to the basement opening. Steps up to the painted and pedimented doorcase to the left which has pilasters and consoles; 6 raised and fielded panels to the door, the smallest panels to the centre, with an iron knocker. Windows to right of the right return, also rebuilt, are similar to those on the front; to centre of first floor a semicircular gauged brick arch to a tall 6/6-pane sash stair window. INTERIOR: the hall, with late C19 margin-pane double inner doors, has unmoulded early C18 panelling, open-string stairs with fretted ends, moulded handrail, and complex newels of a barleysugar-twist baluster surrounded on the outer sides by turned balusters similar to those on the stairs. Plain full-height panelling to upper rooms and 4-panel door with an L hinge to the front room which also has a mechanism to a former system of raising a counter-balanced shutter. The second floor has wide floorboards and a late C19 cast-iron arch-plate register grate. The basement has a brick floor with a well to the right. The terraces of houses in Castle Street form an important group, unusual for their scale and ambition outside London's West End. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South and West Somerset: London: 1958-: 100; Colvin H: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1660-1840: London: 1978-: 428; VCH: Somerset: London: 1992-: 200).

Listing NGR: ST2997837171

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
373836
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 428
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1992), 200
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958), 100

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/02488/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Paulette Bjergfelt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].