7, CASTLE STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1197359
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
31-Jan-1994
Statutory Address:
7, CASTLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 7, CASTLE STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1197359.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 19:44:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
7, CASTLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Bridgwater
National Grid Reference:
ST 29963 37164

Details

BRIDGWATER

ST2937SE CASTLE STREET 736-1/10/22 (South side) 24/03/50 No.7 (Formerly Listed as: CASTLE STREET (South side) Nos.7-13 (Odd))

GV I

House, now offices. 1723-8 for the Duke of Chandos. By Benjamin Holloway or Fort and Shepherd, the Duke's London surveyors. Flemish-bond Bridgwater brick with red headers and yellow stretchers, painted rusticated stone quoins to the left, moulded architraves, cills, brackets and doorcase; roof not visible; brick stacks. Double-depth plan with a rear left wing. 3 storeys with basement; symmetrical 5-window range. The left (south) end of the terrace that steps downhill from King Square, No 7 terminates the row. Its substantial cornice sweeps up to the left and caps the quoins, above it a plain brick parapet, probably rebuilt, has plain stone coping. The cyma-moulded segmental-arched architraves to the windows are carved from rectangular blocks set into the brickwork; plain consoles support moulded cills; some crown glass; 6/6-pane sash windows to the second floor, 6 panes over plate-glass lower sashes to the rest. A bolection-moulded architrave below a restored hood on brackets to the C20 door. A diamond pattern of red header bricks to the centre of the left return is flanked by former windows to the right and left of each floor, they are blocked with harder brick, below are 2 wide segmental brick arches to the basement. Rear wing not seen. INTERIOR: room to ground-floor left has diagonal corner chimney breast to the rear left, a simple early C18 cornice, some thick skirting board and a late C18 semi-elliptical arched recess to the rear. Room to right is late C18 in style with reeded cornice and moulding, low skirting board and a large semi-elliptical arched recess to the rear. The stairs, between rooms to the right, were formerly late C18 in style with fretted ends and a swept mahogany handrail, now boarded and painted; they are open-well to the first floor and dogleg above. Access to the rear wing is through a semicircular-arched doorway with a moulded archivolt. The terraces of houses in Castle Street form an important group, unusual for their scale and ambition outside London's West End. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South and West Somerset: London: 1958-: 100; Colvin H: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1660-1840: London: 1978-: 428; VCH: Somerset: London: 1992-: 200).

Listing NGR: ST2996337164

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
373838
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 428
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1992), 200
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958), 100

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].