NO 9 AND ATTACHED REAR WALLS AND OUTHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1197361
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
31-Jan-1994
Statutory Address:
NO 9 AND ATTACHED REAR WALLS AND OUTHOUSE, 9, CASTLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO 9 AND ATTACHED REAR WALLS AND OUTHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1197361.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 13:32:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
NO 9 AND ATTACHED REAR WALLS AND OUTHOUSE, 9, CASTLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Bridgwater
National Grid Reference:
ST 29954 37152

Details

BRIDGWATER

ST2937SE CASTLE STREET 736-1/10/24 (South side) 24/03/50 No.9 and attached rear walls and outhouse (Formerly Listed as: CASTLE STREET (South side) Nos.7-13 (Odd))

GV I

House. 1723-1728. For James Brydges, Duke of Chandos. By Benjamin Holloway or Fort and Shepherd, the Duke's London surveyors. Flemish-bond Bridgwater brick with red headers and yellow stretchers, painted stone cornice, architraves, doorcase and hood, plain tile roof with brick stacks to party walls. Double-depth plan. 3 storeys with basements; symmetrical 5-window range. The moulded coping to the rebuilt parapet and the substantial cornice sweep up to the right to meet those of No 11 (qv). Brick platbands between floors, cyma-moulded segmental-arched architraves with moulded cills and brackets to 6/6-pane sash windows, some with crown glass. C20 six-panel door in a cyma-moulded architrave with moulded cornice and brackets. The rear of the house was extended c1840; the Flemish-bond red brick rear wall has flat gauged brick arches; 3/3-pane sash windows to the second floor and a 6/6-pane tripartite sash to the first floor which opens onto a wrought and cast-iron balcony. The back door has 6 beaded panels. INTERIOR: an outer hall has panelling below a dado rail and a late C19 door glazed to the top with coloured margin panes; room to right has full-height raised-and-fielded panelling with a wide dado rail and cyma-moulded cornice, some panelling has been removed from rear wall. A simple stone fire surround is curved at the inner corners. A semicircular arch leads to the rear stair hall which has raised-and-fielded panelling below the dado rail of the stair wall and late C18 open-string stairs with stick balusters, mahogany handrail and panelled newel. The rooms to first-floor rear are of early/mid C19 character; that to right has a white marble fire-surround with reeded lintel and jambs and blocks to the corners; the architraves to the door are similar with fasces to the lintel and jambs and patera to the corner blocks. Room to rear left has a semi-elliptical arch to the former rear wall and a 10/10-pane sash window to the c1840 wall. Room to first-floor front has cupboard door with 2 raised-and-fielded panels flanking the chimney breast. Room to second-floor right has wide pine floor boards and a planked door with wrought-iron strap hinges. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: a Flemish-bond brick wall approx 3m high encloses a garden approx 20m square; attached to the left is a mid C19 two-storey service block with 8/8-pane sash windows. The terraces of houses in Castle Street form an important group, unusual for their scale and ambition outside London's West End. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South and West Somerset: London: 1958-: 100; Colvin H: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1660-1840: London: 1978-: 428; VCH: Somerset: London: 1992-: 200).

Listing NGR: ST2995437152

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
373840
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 428
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1992), 200
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958), 100

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/05956/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Michael Bass. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].