Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1197371.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2020 at 15:14:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Sedgemoor (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 29961 36928



ST2936NE DAMPIET STREET 736-1/11/52 (South side) 24/03/50 Christ Church Unitarian Chapel


Unitarian Chapel. Dated 1688, rebuilt 1788. Flemish bond brick; stone coping, cornice to open bracketed and dentilled pediment, plaques, architraves and cill band; pantile roof. Rectangular plan with late C19 schoolroom to rear right. 2 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range. The windows have plain architraves with bead edges and late C19 leaded lights with narrow margin panes. The facade, set back approx 1m from the adjacent buildings and built up higher than the gable behind it, has a stone-flagged forecourt with traces of former railings. The central bay beneath the open pediment is stepped slightly forward; two date plaques in the typanum and a Venetian window to first floor above a handsome shell hood, (probably from the late C17 building), and C20 three-panel double doors. The bays flanking centre have a short returned cornice to each side of pediment from which high parapet walls sweep down to meet forward-projecting walls which flank forecourt; 2-light casement windows to first floor and fixed lights of same width to ground floor. INTERIOR: mostly of 1788 character, re-floored and reglazed late C19, recently restored. The doors, panelled on outside, have diagonal planking to back with full-width hinges and fine wrought-iron bolts to top and bottom. Floor of entrance hall and chapel of late C19 polychromatic tiles with elaborate pierced cast-iron continuous heating vent along the aisles. 4 full-height stone Tuscan columns with fluted capitals support the flat-ceilinged aisles and barrel-vaulted nave; aisles have dentilled moulding to the frames of tripartite skylight of 4 panes to centre and simple guttae cornice; nave has several pierced ceiling roses, some for ventilation, some had former pendant gas lights. Singers' gallery against front wall is supported by cast-iron Tuscan columns with fluted capitals and panelling to front; a late C19 organ stands on ground to centre, opposite the door. Complete range of late C19 box pews with reset C18 panelling; these have raised-and-fielded panels, raised H hinges; doors open flat, allowing passage down the aisles and elaborate Roman numbers to each pew in gold leaf; those in the aisles are higher and probably late C18. The small pulpit to rear centre is virtually an elaborate single box pew on stone plinth, raised on dais of 3 steps; pyramidal panelling to front, large scrolls to side of seat and a knob to the right by which the preacher could control the gas lighting of whole chapel. The late C19 schoolroom to rear right has a queen-post roof and tongued-and-grooved planked panelling below a high dado rail. C18 and C19 wall tablets include one to George Lewis Browne who brought Nelson's body back to England: it reads "Captain Browne obtained the trust and highest commendation of Admiral Lord Nelson under whose immediate command he distinguished himself at the Battle of Trafalgar." History: Outside to right of door is a painted panel claiming it to be the oldest non-conformist chapel in Bridgwater, to the base it reads "This congregation was founded by Admiral Blake's friends and associates when the Rev. John Norman, his former protege, was ejected from the parish church in 1662, after the restoration of the monarchy in 1660". The chapel was sacked by the authorities in 1663 and the contents burned on the Cornhill. A bronze plaque to the left of the door reads "The poet Samuel Coleridge Taylor preached in this church on Sunday 4th of June 1797 and Sunday 7th of January 1798". (Stell C: Non-conformist Chapels and Meeting-Houses in SW England: London: 1991-: 167-8; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South and West Somerset: London: 1958-: 97; VCH: Somerset: London: 1992-: 235).

Listing NGR: ST2995336913


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1992), 235
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958), 97
Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, (1991), 167-8


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16948/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].