THE GUILDHALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1197456
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1950
Statutory Address:
THE GUILDHALL, FORE STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1197456.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 05:46:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE GUILDHALL, FORE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Chard Town
National Grid Reference:
ST 32223 08558

Details

CHARD

ST3308 FORE STREET 756-1/4/80 (South side) 24/03/50 The Guildhall

GV II*

Former Corn Exchange and Guildhall, now Town Hall. 1834. Ham Hill stone ashlar; slate roof. T-shape plan. Classical style. 2 storeys, symmetrical 5-window range: central 3 set forward under 2-storey hexastyle Doric portico with continuous plinth forming low wall to loggia; columns to far left and right are closer and this articulation is reflected below and on the facade of the 1st floor, where Doric pilasters separate the windows. The ground floor has a double row of Tuscan columns and entablature, with a C20 facade to entrance. To the far left and right, double doors are set in semi-circular arches with banded rustication to surrounds. All windows have moulded architraves with cornices and consoles. Surmounting the dentilled pediment is a substantial domed cupola with clocks to 3 sides below. INTERIOR: remodelled c1970, except for the council chamber and mayor`s parlour on the first floor. The parlour is the rear arm of the T-plan; it has a high panelled plaster ceiling, chamfered, similar to coved; a glazed ceramic fireplace, dado-rail and high skirting boards; 5-panel doors with a horizontal panel to the centre and a tripartite sash with margin-panes to the rear. The council chamber, to the centre front, is articulated by pilasters with recessed panels; it has high skirting boards and deep segmental-arched recesses to each end, that to the rear with a dais and original mahogany bench, now painted; heavy plaster cornice; tall 6-panel doors with applied mouldings, have moulded architraves with cornices. The Corporation Minute book has entries dated 1833 resolving that the early C16 Guildhall be taken down and erected in a more convenient place. (Collinson J: History of Somerset: London: 1791-: P.461).

Listing NGR: ST3222308558

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
374108
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Collinson, J, History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset, (1791), 461

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00033/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Bland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].