RAMPSIDE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1197852
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1949
Statutory Address:
RAMPSIDE HALL, 101, RAMPSIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RAMPSIDE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1197852.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 11:47:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
RAMPSIDE HALL, 101, RAMPSIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Barrow-in-Furness (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 24079 66307

Details

BARROW IN FURNESS

SD26NW RAMPSIDE 708-1/6/108 (North side) 10/11/49 No.101 Rampside Hall

I

Large house. Late C17 (Pevsner). Roughcast over stone with ashlar dressings, graduated slate roof. 3 storeys and attic, 5 bays, double-depth plan; later wing to rear left. Central doorway has ovolo-moulded quoined surround with vine carving on chamfer stops; lintel decorated with ogee panels and carved vinetrail; hoodmould surmounted by blank panel with round-arched cornice. Dripmould continues from doorhood to cover double-chamfered cross-windows having C20 casements with glazing bars. Upper-floor windows all in same style; bays 1 & 5 on 2nd floor have different, red sandstone, surrounds. Shaped blocks support wooden gutter. Parapet removed but end dies remain and have large ball finials on ornate pedestals; ashlar gable copings. 12 diagonally-set chimneys occupy full length of ridge. Left return: lean-to porch in angle with later wing, encloses cross-boarded oak door with decorative iron hinges in ovolo-moulded surround. Casement and 4-pane sash to ground floor; cross-window and partially-blocked cross-window above. INTERIOR: structurally the house has a massive tranverse wall incorporating the flues; off this the rooms are formed by timber partitions; most rooms have beamed ceilings. Original features include: well in cellar; incomplete fireplace bressumer in kitchen to rear left, beneath it a stone arch. Staircase to rear centre rises through 3 floors and has original oak balustrade of turned balusters and deep-section handrail between square and rectangular newels with sunken panels and moulded caps. Chamfered ashlar fireplace to 1st floor left. Built for the Knype family. A house here is mentioned in 1634 although it is uncertain when and for which member of the family the present structure was built (Chambers & Gaythorpe). Pevsner, as stated, regarding the building as late C17. (Trans. Cumberland & Westmoreland Antiquarian & Archaeol. Society: Chambers C P: Rampside Hall: Kendal: 1910-: 288-297; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Lancashire: London: 1969-).

Listing NGR: SD2407966307

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
388561
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Lancashire, (1969)
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (1910), 288-297

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/03820/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr CJ Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].