CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1197881
Date first listed:
06-May-1976
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, BLAKE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1197881 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:32:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, BLAKE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Barrow-in-Furness (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 19460 69944

Details

BARROW IN FURNESS

SD16NE BLAKE STREET 708-1/5/31 (North West side) 06/05/76 Church of St James

II*

Church. 1867-69. By EG Paley, vestry added 1883. Red brick with blue brick patterning; ashlar sandstone dressings and spire; green slate roof. 6-bay nave with lean-to aisles and south porch; polygonal apse to chancel with 4-stage tower and spire on south side, organ chamber to north and vestry at end of corridor wing projecting east. Gothic Revival style: Geometrical and plate tracery. Orientated NE/SW, ritual orientation used here. Nave: chamfered plinth; offset buttresses between bays; 2-light windows with cusping, plate tracery, head-carved hoodmould stops and blue-brick relieving arches. Porch to bay 2: red sandstone colonnettes to enriched moulded arch, head-carved hoodmould stops, plainer arch within, 2-light side windows; steep gable with copings and cross. Clerestorey: pilaster strips between 2-light windows with colonnettes; brick cogging; ashlar gutter. Buttresses flank west window of 6 lights with king mullion, rose and hoodmould; blue-brick patterning on steep gable, ashlar copings. Tower: chamfered plinth, pilaster buttresses ending in offsets above 3rd stage. Colonnettes to trefoiled south door under arch with nailhead and hoodmould with angel stops; gablet over. 2-light window to east side. 2nd stage has trefoiled 3-light windows in arcading with continuous hoodmoulds; lancets to 3rd stage. Ashlar offset below louvred, 3-light belfry openings having impost band and tracery under pointed arches with hoodmoulds. Octagonal spire springs from gables with low-set splays between; lucarnes and weathervane. Chancel: lower; apse has buttress and plain east window flanked by traceried 2-light windows; carved eaves to hipped roof with cross. Organ chamber with rose window and 2-flue stack on north gable. Vestry, further east than the apse, has pointed door and window of 2 rounded lights to south; brick stack on left. INTERIOR: arcades have quatrefoil, sandstone piers and brick arches with ashlar hood-moulds; painted brickwork above. Composite roof of king-post and scissor-braced trusses. Alabaster font and arcaded, alabaster pulpit on sandstone plinth. Stalls at west end, the central 3 with crocketed canopies. Organ rebuilt from that purchased for St James' Palace by William IV in 1837, the makers Hill and Davison; used at the wedding of Queen Victoria in 1840 but disposed of in 1866 and brought to Barrow 1868. HJ Austin joined EG Paley in 1868 and the final scheme here is likely to show his influence. 'The best church in Barrow' (Pevsner); the brick arcading ahead of its time and probably inspired by GE Street. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Lancashire: London: 1969-: 33, 56).

Listing NGR: SD1946069944

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
388416
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Lancashire, (1969), 33 56

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03818/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr CJ Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].