CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1198102
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, MILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1198102.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 17:13:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Alvescot
National Grid Reference:
SP 27386 04597

Details

SP2604-2704 ALVESCOT MILL LANF 9/13 (East side) 12/09/55 Church of St. Peter

GV II* Church. Earliest surviving features are early C13 details of north transept, and C13 north door of nave. C14 south porch. Later C15 west tower, nave and south transept, latter with south wall rebuilt C16. Chancel rebuilt C19, probably during restorations of 1872-3 by W. Slater and R.H. Carpenter. Coursed rubble limestone with stone slate roofs. Cruciform plan. West tower is of three stages with battlemented parapet, diagonal buttresses and south-west stair projection. C15 openings, with 2-light traceried windows to bellchamber, 3-light traceried west window, and small west door in double chamfered pointed head. Nave has coved cornice and off-set buttress with mass dial. Large C15 south window of 3 lights with Perpendicular tracery and small carved head stops to hoodmould; C15-C16 2-light north window with Tudor hoodmould. North door is blocked and has 2-centred arch with hoodmould; south door is C13-C14 with moulded arch and carved head hoodmould stops. South porch has 2-centred arch, stone benches and lean-to roof to transept. South transept has C15-C16 2-light east window with cusped lights, and C16 3-light south window without cusping, both with Tudor hoodmoulds. North transept retains original east lancet and small blocked west doorway with semi-circular arch, but has C19 2-light window in north wall. 2-bay chancel has C19 traceried windows in Decorated style, 2-light to north and south, 3-light to east, and C19 gabled vestry and boiler house to north. Interior: nave has double hollow-chamfered arch to tower, and blocked stair door with 4-centred arch. At east end of nave on north side is a shallow niche with cusped 4-centred arch and traces of wall-painting. Nave roof remodelled C19 with quatrefoil wind-bracing but retaining C17-C18 tie-beams. Former roof-line marked by stone corbels with carved heads below. Between nave and south transept is a large arch similar to tower arch, with narrower simpler arch to east. South transept has trefoil-headed piscina and both transepts have squints to chancel. Arch between north transept and nave is early C13, restored, with moulded capital and base to cylindrical half-pier at west respond. Chancel arch matches tower arch. Interior of chancel is C19 but incorporates some original features, including a small lancet window in north wall, an altered piscina, 2 stone roundels in east wall, and a pair of very small arched niches in north wall. Also in north wall is an Easter Sepulchre (?) assembled from various pieces of C14 masonry. Fittings: font is C12-C13 and has square stone bowl with shafted corners on base with narrow band of nailhead ornament. Charity panel of 1831 in tower. Other fittings and glass are C19. Monuments: brasses to Alice Malory 1579 and husband, in south transept. 3 good marble wall tablets in nave: a) to Samuel Adams, Rector, d.1750, with obelisk and urn on pedestal. b) to Goddard Carter, d.1725, and wife Rebecca, with open pediment on Ionic columns, and charity panel below, c) to Elizabeth Adams, d.1728, and 7 children, with 3 carved cherub heads in a roundel. In tower are a simple tablet to Alice Wayne 1675, and a marble tablet to Martha Rudger, 1772.

(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p421)

Listing NGR: SP2738604597

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253323
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 421

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/09532/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Malcolm Osman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].