CHURCH OF ST MARTIN OF TOURS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1198181
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
20-May-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN OF TOURS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN OF TOURS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1198181.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:29:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN OF TOURS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Nacton
National Grid Reference:
TM 21704 39693

Details

TM 23 NW NACTON ORWELL PARK

5/22 Church of St. Martin of Tours (Formerly listed as Church of St Martin) 16.3.66 II*

Church, mediaeval with major alterations of 1870 and 1908. Nave, chancel and west tower. The south chapel was added 1870. The north aisle with organ chamber and vestry, and open timber-framed south porch were added 1908, all in the perpendicular Style. Rendered walling, the mediaeval work is probably of flint and other rubble; freestone quoins. Plaintiled roofs. In the north chancel wall is a lancet of early C13; in the south wall is a 2-light Y- traceried window of early C14, and another of one light. The adjacent priests doorway is a renewal of 1908, perhaps a copy of a C13 original. The nave was rebuilt on a new alignment, perhaps in C14. The 2 restored south windows with good corbel heads and south doorway with original battened plank door are of early C15, but the reset jambs of the north doorway are perhaps C14. In the south nave wall is a C14 or early C15 piscina for a side-altar. The C15 tower has a 3-light west window with mask-corbels; above is a canopy for an image niche now blocked. In the late C18 or early C19 the belfry stage was removed and gault brick parapet constructed. Main roofs renewed 1908; in the nave the trusses have collar-beams and kingposts. Fine C15 octagonal limestone font; the stem has carved lions at the corner and wild men between, and the bowl has angels and evangelists. In a south chancel window is a small panel of mediaeval stained glass. A large marble wall tablet to Edward Vernon (d.1757) and others to members of his family are in the north aisle. On the nave wall is a tablet to Philip Broke (d.1762). A floor brass to Richard Fastolph of Broke Hall, with shield and date 1479. In the chancel floor is an C18 ledger slab. Stained glass by Clayton and Bell, and in the east window by Kempe.

Listing NGR: TM2170439693

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
286188
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00553/09
Rights: Copyright IoE R H MacMillan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].