CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1198318
Date first listed:
23-Mar-1960
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1198318.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:36:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bower Chalke
National Grid Reference:
SU 01870 23006

Details

SU 02 SW BOWER CHALKE CHURCH STREET (east side) 6/59 Church of Holy Trinity (Formerly listed as Church of 23.3.60 the Most Holy Trinity)

GV II *

Anglican parish church. C13, C15, 1886 restoration by T.H. Wyatt. Dressed limestone, tiled roof with fishscale tile bands. Nave, south aisle, north tower over entrance, south and north transepts and chancel. C19 double doors in hollow-chamfered pointed arch with hoodmould to base of 3-stage north tower. Tower has diagonal buttresses, string courses and heavy moulded plinth, 2-light square-headed Perpendicular window and blocked round-headed window to second stage, north side of bellstage has pointed Perpendicular window and west has square-headed window, both with louvres, circular clock face on north side, bellstage with clasping buttresses, upper part is C19 with cornice with gargoyles to battlemented parapet, pyramidal tiled roof. North side of nave has one cusped lancet to right and two to left. North chapel, now vestry is C16 with 2-light square-headed Perpendicular window with lozenge terminals to hoodmould, diagonal buttress to gabled east end with 2-light Tudor-arched doorway. C13 chancel has 2 ogee cusped lancets to north, C19 three-light east window with hoodmould, south side has ogee lancet either side of pointed priest's door. C16 south transept has 2-light square-headed window with cusped lights and hoodmould to east, 3-light window to south, diagonal buttresses and coped verge, good late C17 and C18 memorial tablets against south wall to Good family. 1886 south aisle has lean-to slate roof, trefoil-headed lancets and C16 two-light cusped window to right, all reset, west end of aisle has C19 three-light C16-style window. West end of nave has C13 two-light pointed window with cusped lights. Interior: Porch has hollow-chamfered inner doorway with broach stops and C19 door, second stage of tower floor on stone corbels. Nave has 4-bay C19 arch-braced collar truss roof on hammer beams, stone floors, cusped pointed stoup on north wall of nave beside door. C19 south arcade in C13 style with double chamfered arches on cylindrical piers. C16 north and south transepts have deep chamfered pointed arches from nave, scissor rafter roofs, stone tablet on south wall of south transept to Alice Good died 1735 with carved volutes and segmental-headed cornice. Double chamfered chancel arch, chancel has C19 polychrome tiled floor, C19 boarded and ribbed wagon roof with carved bosses, pointed chamfered piscina on south wall. Fittings: C19 pews and pulpit, C13 cylindrical stone font with roll moulding, 1890s stained glass in south aisle, 1920s glass in chancel. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: SU0187023006

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320645
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/00665/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Letcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].