Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of BRADFIELD MANOR FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1198808 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 06:44:48.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:


HULLAVINGTON ST 88 SE 5/28 12.12.51


Bradfield Manor Farmhouse ( formerly listed as Bradfield Farmhouse)


Former mediaeval Hall, now Farmhouse. C15, much reduced in size post 1670 (after Aubrey's visit) when a west range and gatehouse were demolished. East block added in the early C17; interior of hall subdivided in the late C17. Further subdivision to hall and extension to north wing in the C19. Original open hall with C17 block attached to north-east corner and further north-west wing to rear forming U-shaped plan. Coursed rubble with ashlar flush rusticated quoins and copings, ashlar buttresses to hall, stone dressings and stone slate roofs: gabled to hall, hipped to C17 block. Two end stacks to hall: east of stone, west of brick; 3 tall stone stacks set on the diagonal to C17 block with further stone stack with brick cap to outside wall of staircase tower in rear angle. Hall south front of 2 storeys, 6 bays. Three left-hand bays of 2 and 3-light ovolo mullions with small pane glazing and hoodmoulds. Tudor-arched doorway with double wave moulding and early C19 bracketed flat hood on projecting jambs; 6-panel door with 3 glazed lights. Two 2-light pointed-arched Perpendicular windows with cinquefoil-cusped heads and quatrefoils above with hoodmoulds to right-hand. Two buttresses between, then one 4-light ground floor Perpendicular chamfered-mullion window under flat head with hoodmould and small pane glazing with outer cast iron bars. Above this a 3-light hollow-moulded mullion under flat head. Four similar windows to east wall. C17 block of 3 storeys and cellar with 2 and 3-light cross-mullions, some blocked, others with small pane glazing. Moulded plinth course, 2 continuous moulded string courses. North front to hall has 1 blocked traceried Perpendicular window identical to those on south front and a further blocked single light Perpendicular window.

Interior. Hall subdivided: Dining Room to ground floor right-hand has complex moulded late C17 cornice. Roof structure of 6 bays: through-purlin with soot blackened arched braces to collars denoting open hall. C17 range is derelict at time of resurvey (April 1986). Oak staircase with turned balusters in tower giving access to rooms of fine proportions now stripped of original pine panelling and chimneypieces; one plain chimneypiece with basket-handle arch on second floor. Building presumed to be a C14 Priory by V.C.H.., but more likely to have been built as a C15 Hall 'in the old Gothic fashion' (Aubrey), by John Russell. (Aubrey & Jackson, Wiltshire Collections, 1862; June Badeni, Wiltshire Forefathers, 1960; Victoria County History, Volume 3; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Aubrey, , Jackson, , Wiltshire Collections, (1862)
Badeni, J , Wiltshire Forefathers, (1960)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/15270/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Young. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].