Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1198865.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:51:54.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 30230 89317


UFFINGTON BROAD STREET SU3089 (West side) 11/158 Church of St. Mary. 21/11/66


Church. c.1250. Rendered walling, stone slate roof. Cruciform plan with tower over crossing. East wall has 3 blank roundels for consecration crosses with 3 lancets above linked by continuous hood-mould; gablets to corner buttresses. Two 2-light mid C13 windows to each side wall of chancel; south wall of chancel also has an early C14 reticulated style window and late C19 studded door to mid C13 gabled porch with stiff leaf capitals to engaged columns. North transept has 2 lancets to east wall, blank roundel under 3 lancets to gable wall with gablets to corner buttresses, and on the west wall, two unusual gabled projections with 3 lights carried to top. South transept has lancet windows to east wall and 3 to south wall with gablets to corner buttresses; similar gabled projection to west as to north transept adjoining mid C13 porch, which has moulded capitals to engaged columns and is tunnel vaulted to old studded door. North wall of nave has stair-turret to nave adjoining transept, sexfoiled circular window above blocked C13 door, mid C17 2-light stone-mullioned window to left beneath eaves, one blank roundel. South wall of nave has mid C17 window as opposite, one blank roundel. Gabled south porch has corner buttresses with gablets and late C20 carved figures: stiff-leaf capitals to engaged columns both inside and out, rib vault; C13 door with original crescent hinges. West wall has 3 blind roundels under three mid C17 lancet windows with segmental heads. Octagonal tower with louvred lancets and top storey added in mid C18 with embattled parapet. Interior: late C19 stained glass in east window, late C19 reredos, 3-bay chancel has wall shafts with moulded capitals and springers but no arch: eastern sanctuary bay has arch of c.1852; trefoiled heads over piscina and sedilia; Mid C19 benches and desk. North transept has some detail to wall shafting: large square aumbry with hinges in north wall adjoining memorial tablet to Thomas Hughes, 1822-96 and author of "Tom Brown's Schooldays", and a memorial to Edward Archer, 1603, which is built of limestone and has two columns with foliate capitals to flat top; C15 chest; trefoiled piscina to each of the west chapels; late C19 roof with carved heads to corbels. South transept has monument to John Saunders, which has coffered arch with strapwork back to semi-reclining effigy; Victorian font; late C19 waggon roof. Nave has C17 and C18 ledger stones to aisle; C19 wood pulpit; memorial font of c.1915j 4-bay mid C19 crown post roof. Buildings of England, Berkshire, pp. 243-4.

Listing NGR: SU3023189314


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 243-4


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11087/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Malcolm Osman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].