This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1199147



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Faringdon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249358

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/14 Church of All Saints 21.11.66

- I

Stone church mostly of C12 to C13 with C15 and C19 additions and alterations, 'one of the richest churches in Berkshire' (Pevsner). Stone tiled roofs. Nave and aisles, transepts, chancel and north-east chapel. Broad short crossing tower. Nave: Early and late C12. Early C12 buttresses to west front, late C12 4-bay arcade with moulded round arches and round piers with stiff-leaf capitals. Narrow round-headed clerestory lights. C15 Perpendicular west window and west door. North aisle altered in C15, 2 fine 6-light Perpendicular windows to north side and projecting C19 baptistery with reset late C12 doorway with crenellated frieze around arch and weathered carved jambs. South aisle rebuilt 1853 (J Hugall, architect) with exceptional C13 plank door with rich scrolled dragon-head ironwork. Crossing: Late C12, richly shafted with varied stiff-leaf caps and 4 moulded pointed arches. Small quatrefoil recesses in spandrels with carved heads. Upper part of tower C13 with 2 plain lancets in recesses to each face. Top of tower and spire destroyed 1645. Plain parapet. North Transept: C13 with C14 west aisle. Large pointed chamfered C13 east wall arch with smaller C15 opening to north-east chapel inset. Smaller C13 arch adjoining, opening to C19 vestry, 2 C19 north lancets. West side has narrow late C12 pointed billetted arch to north nave aisle on C19 pillar and wide C19 arch to transept aisle. Fine C14 4-light north window to aisle, recticulated tracery and elaborate cinquefoiled rear arch. South Transept: 1853 with western aisle to match north side, lancet windows. Chancel: C13 with range of 6 lancets to south wall, 3 to east end, 2 to north wall with 2 C15 arches to north-east chapel. C13 trefoil headed piscina and later C13 elaborate triple sedilia on south wall. C14 to C15 trussed rafter roof. North-east Chapel: C15 with 5- light east window and 4-light north window. Monuments: series of small reset C15 brasses in chancel. 3 fine C18 marble monuments in north-east chapel to Henry Pye and his two wives. In north transept and aisle C16 monuments to Unton family, especially Sir Thomas Unton d.1533, chest tomb with two recumbent figures, Sir Alexander Unton d.1547 Purbeck marble Gothic canopied recess with brasses. Kneeling female figure part of a supposed larger monument to Sir Henry Unton d.1596. Also fine late C17 marble monument to Sir Henry Purefoy of Wadley. Stained Glass: c.1852 glass in east windows and 2 chancel lights each side. South transept glass by Wailes, c.1865 in south lancets, c.1855 in transept aisle.

Listing NGR: SU2887095726

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966)

National Grid Reference: SU 28873 95724


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1199147 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2017 at 08:38:58.

End of official listing