CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1199479
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1199479.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2019 at 05:55:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Filkins and Broughton Poggs
National Grid Reference:
SP 23546 03821

Details

SP2203-2303 FILKINS AND BROUGHTON POGGS BROUGHTON POGGS 11/173 Church of St. Peter 12/09/55

GV II* Church. C12 with C13 chancel, restored and altered 1874. Coursed rubble limestone with dressed quoins and stone slate roofs. West tower, nave with north porch, chancel. Low, broad west tower has C19 roof with coped gables and small C19 chimney. West wall retains late C12 cusped lancet with hood mould, and has bell-chamber opening of 2 semi-circular headed lights with impost block between, possibly also C12. Nave has C12 arched slit window in north wall, and C12 north and south doorways, both restored, with plain semi-circular tympana in raised stone surrounds. South doorway has scratch dial. South wall of nave has 2 bays of C19 windows, the left in Decorated style with 2 traceried lights, the right in Early English style with group of 3 lancets. Gabled north porch, possibly C13-C14 in origin, with moulded 2-centred arch and internal stone benches. Chancel has one bay of lancet windows in hollow chamfered surrounds, pair of similar lancets under a single dripmould to east, and a small lowside window to south. South door in Caernarvon arch. Interior: late C12 pointed tower arch of 2 unmoulded orders, with impost blocks and chamfered plinth. Tower side of arch has chamfered reveals to recesses with traces of zig-zag ornament at impost level. Nave re-roofed Cl9 at altered pitch. Small C12 chancel arch, semi-circular and unmoulded, with imposts, ashlar jambs, and flanking rectangular squints of later date. Chancel has hollow-chamfered rere-arches to windows, moulded piscina with trefoil head, and C19 roof. Fittings: C12 tub font with panelled base and C17 carved wooden lid; late C19 stained glass; C19 and C20 pews, lecturn and pulpit. C17 and C18 marble wall tablets: 1) with fluted border and latin inscriptions to members of the Goodenough family l673-1718; 2) pair of tablets to Reverend William Goodenough 1768, and wife Elizabeth 1762, with round inscription panels and carved foliage spandrels; 3) a sarcophagus-shaped tablet to William Goodenough 1770, signed by Westmacott, London; 4) tablet to Margaret Burnaby 1757. Other tablets to Goodenough family are C19 and C20. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, pp498-499)

Listing NGR: SP2354603821

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253484
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 498-499

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05203/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Robert Slade. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].