CHURCH OF SAINT JAMES THE GREAT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1199969
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Aug-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT JAMES THE GREAT, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT JAMES THE GREAT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1199969.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 15:28:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT JAMES THE GREAT, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Fulbrook
National Grid Reference:
SP 25837 13034

Details

FULBROOK CHURCH LANE SP2513 (East side) 11/42 Church of Saint James the 12/09/55 Great (Formerly listed as Church of Saint James) GV II*

Church. C12; north aisle c.1200; C13 chancel remodelled, north transept and south porch; restored 1892 when the nave probably re-roofed. Uncoursed stone rubble; stone slate roof to chancel and to north aisle; roofs of nave and tower not visible. 3-bay chancel, 4-bay nave and north aisle, 2-bay north transept and west tower. South side: C19 plank double door to Romanesque round-arched doorway with roll-moulding and billet hood. C13 stone open porch of 3 hallow-chamfered orders on jamb shafts with bell capitals, the outer arch has quatrefoil-section responds, bell capitals and a hollow-chamfered arch. Nave has irregular fenestration of 2-light stone mullion windows with hood moulds, except for 2-light Plate-tracery window to right. 2-light stone mullion windows to left and right of chancel. East end: triple lancet with hood mould. North side: lancet to right of chancel. 3-light stone mullion window to left return of north transept. 2-light Reticulated-tracery window to north end of transept. 2-light Reticulated-tracery window to north end of transept. 2-light stone mullion window with Perpendicular lights to left of north aisle. Blocked round-arched doorway to centre. 2-light Rectilinear-tracery windows to right and to right of centre. Single lancet to west end of aisle, and to base of tower. 2-light Reticulated-tracery louvred opening to each side of bell chamber of tower. Interior: 3-bay arch-braced collar truss roof to chancel with moulded mid-purlin and principal braces. C17 and C18 memorials to left of chancel. C17 wood altar rail of baluster balustrade. Romanesque round chancel arch with roll-mouldings and shafts with bell capitals. 7-bay Perpendicular-style roof to nave with carved bosses. C18 hexagonal wood pulpit on stone base. Arcade to north aisle and transept of 4 two-centred arches on round piers with trumpet-scalloped capitals. 2-bay Perpendicular-style roof to north transpet. Probably C14 lean-to roof to north aisle, having moulded principal rafters. Romanesque round stone font on spreading base to north aisle. 4-centre arch from nave to tower. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1979, p609-610)

Listing NGR: SP2583713034

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253599
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 609-610

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13653/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Cotterill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].