CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1200030
Date first listed:
23-Mar-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200030.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:33:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Stoke-by-Nayland
National Grid Reference:
TL 98628 36281

Details

CHURCH LANE 1. 5377 Stoke-by-Nayland Church of St Mary TL 9836 24/817 23.3.61. I GV

2. A fine C15 church built of freestone rubble and brick, with stone dressings. The nave and aisles have castellated parapets and Perpendicular windows. It incorporates the remains of an earlier church built in the late C13 or early C14 of which the south porch, St Edmunds Chapel and part of the aisle wall are part. The late Norman piscina in the north chapel is the only surviving part of the original Norman church which stood on the site and was recorded in the Doomsday survey of 1085. The imposing west tower which is 120 ft high forms a prominent landmark in the surrounding countryside. It is in 4 stages with an embattled parapet with crocketted pinnacles and diagonal buttresses with canopied niches. The south porch is late C13-early C14, with a groin vaulted roof with interesting carved bosses (restored). Above there is a small priests chamber. The South door is of the same date, elaborately carved with figures, birds and insects, said to be a Jesse tree. The nave has 6 tall arches and a stringcourse carved with cherubs (restored 1865) under the clerestory windows. The arch braced tie beams of the roof rest on carved corbels. At the west end there is a tall lancet arch opening into the tower and revealing the west window. St Edmunds Chapel was built circa 1318 by John de Peyton. There is a fine C15 octagonal font carved with the signs of the Evangelists, a band of cherubs and ogee niches in the shaft. The font stands on a stepped base with 4 standing platforms carved with shields, one of King Edward IV. The church has a number of brasses of the C15 and a standing wall monument to Sir Francis Mannock of Giffords Hall (d 1634). Graded for its architectural, historical and topographical value.



Listing NGR: TL9862836281

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
278559
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15286/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T. P. C. Bramer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].