CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1200200
Date first listed:
17-Jan-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Aug-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200200.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Apr-2020 at 15:55:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tockenham
National Grid Reference:
SU 04002 79332

Details

SU 07 NW TOCKENHAM TOCKENHAM VILLAGE

8/85 Church of St Giles (Formerly listed as the 17.1.55 Church of St John)

II*

Anglican Parish Church. Late C13. Nave, chancel and south porch. Limestone rubble with ashlar quoins. Stone slate roofs. C17 timber framed bell tower over west end of nave. Nave has 3 two- light trefoil headed windows with slightest ogee heads, and fourth with Geometric trefoil in head. No hood mouldings. Chancel one two-light and two single light low-side windows. East window expansive 5-lights of 1876 restoration. East bay of south chancel wall rebuilt C16 with 2-light windows. At eaves of chancel chamfered wallhead table. South priest's door. West nave wall has 3 short lancets, the centre one raised over central buttress. Opposing nave doors, almost round headed, chamfered, the north door blocked. South porch probably C16-C17. Round headed outer door with key and abaci. Trefoiled niche over, and cubic sundial finial. Interior: 3-bay nave with wide C15-C16 ridged roof, arched braces to collar, and ashlars. Walls stripped of plaster. Timber framed rood loft door opening originally accessible from chancel. C17 timber framed wall in western bay incorporating posts of bell tower. 3-bay chancel roof, renewed, underdrawn in plaster at collar level. Walls unplastered. Font: C12 on later short column; arcaded upper carved zone, curtained lower. Pulpit: C18 fielded panelled half octagon on stone column. Pews: Simple C18 with panelled ends. Chancel fittings C19, wrought iron communion rail. Piscina. Monuments: On chancel north wall MARY GODDARD d; 1726, white marble, relievo bust in cartouche, urn over and flanking obelisks carrying black marble tondi. Arms below. SMITH family, 1776, arca, white marble on black by Rogers of Bath. Nave: GODDARD SMITH and family, 1691, handsome multi-coloured marbles, pediment on consoles, urn above. Putto on gable and cartouche below. JACOB MATTHEWS, 1883: also 8 mitchells in floor to SMITH family. Early C17 panelling in boiler enclosure. Hatchment over chancel arch. External sculpture: South nave wall, C2-C3 limestone, Aesculapius standing, robed with snake entwined baluster altar, all in exedra with ribbed vault. Date stone WW/MS/1699 on same wall.

Listing NGR: SU0400279332

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
316772
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11555/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].