CHURCH OF ST GILES
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GILES
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200437.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:32:40.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GILES
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- Stanton St. Quintin
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 90580 79882
STANTON ST QUINTIN UPPER STANTON
ST 97 NW (south side)
8/252 Church of St Giles
Anglican parish church, C12 to C15, altered 1826, 1851 by J.H. Hakewill and with chancel of 1888 by C.E. Ponting. Rubble stone with stone slate roofs. Nave, south aisle, south porch, centre tower with small vestry to north and broad chancel. Nave has C19 two-light west window of 1851 over reset C12 carved figure of Christ enthroned with dragon beneath his feet. Clasping buttresses, 2-window north side 2-light and 3-light pointed C15 windows with hoodmoulds. Buttress between. Tower is plain rubble stone with neo-Norman bell-openings of 1851 (Pevsner) or 1826 (church guide), corbel-table and flat parapet. Attached to north is 'vestry' of uncertain date, north side has ashlar angle piers and corbel table, west end has small pellet-decorated roundel, east end C19 small 2-light. 1888 chancel is exceptionally ornate Perpendicular style, 3-bay with pinnacled buttresses and pierced parapet. Three 2-light flat-headed windows to north with dripcourse stepped over. Lower dripcourses stepped down under the windows. Ashlar east end is more ornate with parapet stepped up to niche with carved Crucifixion, broad 5-light 4-centred east window with ogee finial and finials each side. Carved panels below lights. Carved stone to W. Whatly died 1695 built-in above plinth. Two-bay south side is similar to north, but wider left bay incorporates re-used medieval pointed doorway. South aisle appears all C19, with plain stepped lancets each end, coped gables and south side lancet, porch, paired-.lancets and lancet. Porch is apparently C19 but incorporates exceptional C12 outer doorway, round arched with chevron ornament and dog-tooth hoodmould. Carved head stops. Heavily carved capitals with shafts entering open mouth. Nook shafts each side. St Christopher figure in niche, reset over entry. Pointed 2-chamfer inner doorway, oak plank door and wicket. Interior: C15 arched-braced collar roof to nave and C19 roof to aisle. Fine 2-bay c1200 arcade with one round, one pointed arch, chevron-ornamented on north side with dog-tooth ornament to hoodmoulds and carved head stops. Circular centre pier and semi- circular responds with crocket caps, the centre cap also with carved heads. Bases raised on high broad pedestals. C12 broad east arch has chevron and pellet decorated arch with ornamented outer moulding. Column shafts and angle shafts with leaf-caps and volutes. Tower has north side doorway to 'vestry' and oak-lined double recess to right. Fine C14 pointed chancel arch with two deep wave mouldings. Chancel is broad with 3-bay roof on heavy corbels. Arch-braced collar trusses with pierced tracery above collars, decorated wall-plate. At south east angle is fine reused canopied piscina with carved heads under bowl and under canopy shafts. Fittings: in chancel carved plaques to Rev W. Charmbury died 1676 and Rev W. Twentyman died 1732. In nave, one north side c1900 stained glass window, ornate later C19 carved stone pulpit and in south aisle exceptional Romanesque font of c1200, circular on spurred square base. Two upper bands of scales, a moulding and lower band of large projecting circular knobs. (N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975, 478-9)
Listing NGR: ST9058079882
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 478-9
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing