CHURCH OF ST WILFRID

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1200834
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, FORD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WILFRID
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200834 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jul-2019 at 07:22:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, FORD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 83241 90062

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8390 FORD LANE, Northenden 698-1/24/775 (South side) 25/02/52 Church of St Wilfrid

GV II*

Parish church. C15 but rebuilt (except for the tower, which was restored) in 1873-76, to designs of J.S.Crowther. Coursed squared sandstone, slate roofs. Perpendicular style. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, chancel with north and south chapels. String courses (etc) variously enriched with carved grotesques, etc. The 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, moulded plinth, string-courses and embattled parapet, has a restored 2-centred arched west doorway with moulded surround and ogee hood with crocketed pinnacle, a restored 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery, and restored 2-light louvred belfry windows. The 5-bay nave has pairs of 2-light windows with Perpendicular tracery, and crocketed corner pinnacles. The aisles are buttressed and have segmental-pointed 3-light windows with hoodmoulds, except in the 2nd bay where the south aisle has a gabled porch with angle-buttresses, a 4-centred arched doorway with shafts and carved spandrels, and a statue in a niche with a tall crocketed pinnacle; and the north aisle has a 2-centred arched doorway. The 2-bay south chapel and 3-bay north chapel, continued from the aisles (large octagonal pinnacles marking the junction), have 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery; the chancel has a 3-light window on the south side; and at the east end the aisles and chancel have windows of 4, 5 and 5 lights with Perpendicular tracery. Interior: 5-bay aisle arcades of octagonal columns with moulded and embattled caps, and double-chamfered 2-centred arches with linked hoodmoulds which have figured stops; short wall-posts on large corbels in the form of angels holding shields with symbols of the crucifixion; tall chancel arch moulded in 2 orders; 2-bay north and south chancel arcades occupied by re-located screens of 1527 with thin tracery and elaborately carved leaf frieze; hammer-beam roof to chancel; various wall monuments to members of the Tatton and Egerton families including: Robert Tatton (d.1689), aedicule with putti; Mrs Egerton (d.1784), urn with carved flower garland; William Egerton (d.1806), woman lying on sarcophagus; and to Thomas Worthington (d.1856), mourning woman with 3 sarcophagi under weeping willow.

Listing NGR: SJ8324190062

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
388133
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/03776/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].