4 AND 4A, BRIDGELAND STREET
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1200874
Date first listed: 08-Nov-1949
Statutory Address: 4 AND 4A, BRIDGELAND STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200874 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2019 at 07:28:38.
Statutory Address: 4 AND 4A, BRIDGELAND STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Torridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SS 45454 26832
SS4526 BRIDGELAND STREET 842-1/5/24 (North side) 08/11/49 Nos.4 AND 4A
Large house, now offices and shop. 1692, remodelled externally and in part of interior in early and mid C19; C20 addition at rear. Solid rendered walls; rear wing has a small patch of old brickwork (now painted) in ground storey. Slate roof. 2 panelled red brick chimneys (rebuilt in C20): one on right-hand end of ridge, the other off-centre to left. 3-rooms wide and 2-rooms deep; rear wing to left, almost certainly original; ground storey has 2 shops at front with entrance-passage between them, leading to staircase in rear left-hand corner of main range. 2 storeys with garret. 6-window front, the upper storey covered with rusticated render; window-heads marked to resemble voussoirs. Ground storey has early or mid C19 doorcase in third bay from left, with matching shop front (inserted after 1924) at either side. Wooden doorcase having attached columns and entablature with modillioned cornice; panelled reveals. Door has 4 raised panels; cobweb fanlight over. Shop fronts flanked by Doric pilasters supporting entablature with modillioned cornice. Upper-storey windows have 8-paned sashes with thick glazing-bars, set in slightly recessed box-frames. Modillioned eaves-cornice. Shaped rainwater-head, possibly original, under eaves in centre. 3 dormers with hipped slate roofs; 2-light wood casements, each light with 6 panes and pointed head. Rear slope of roof has 2 dormers matching those at the front. Rear wing has modillioned eaves-cornice similar to that at the front. INTERIOR: shop to right has early C19 moulded cornice and 2 reeded doorframes with flowers carved in top corners. Shop to left has moulded cornice, possibly original. Room in rear wing has panelled shutters. Entrance-passage has panelled dado and moulded cornice. Round arch at rear, and another leading into stair compartment, both with moulded imposts. Open-well wooden staircase rising to garret has close strings with pulvinated moulding,twisted balusters,square newels with flat moulded caps; flat handrail ramped up to them at the landings. Plain oval skylight. Second-storey middle front room has coved foliated cornice. Ceiling with deep moulded ribs; quatrefoil in centre with shaped panel in each corner. 2-panelled bolection-moulded door (re-set). Room to right has ogee-moulded box-cornice. Windows have panelled shutters; below each one an ovolo-moulded panel, and between the windows a raised, bolection-moulded dado-panel. Left-hand front room has box-cornice; 2-panelled bolection-moulded door with shaped H-hinges; it is entered from staircase by a small lobby with moulded cornice; fixed cupboard with bolection-moulded panelled doors and (inside) old wooden coat-pegs. All 3 front rooms have carved wooden chimneypieces, probably early C20. Room in rear wing refurbished mid C19. Enriched cornice and ceiling-boss. Panelled shutters. White marble chimneypiece with iron grate; coloured patterned tiles on jambs and hearth. Roofs of both main range and wing have heavy, boxed-in principal rafters. For a photograph of the front before the insertion of shops, see Richardson and Gill, (bib). The ground storey was then rusticated and the windows had 8-paned sashes, as in the upper storey. This was a Bideford Bridge Trust property, first leased in 1692 to Christopher Pollard, merchant. The lease changed hands in 1704, 1714 and 1727. (Thorp J: Programme of Devon Buildings Group Summer Conference: 1987-; Richardson AE: Regional Architecture of the West of England: 1924-: P.88).
Listing NGR: SS4545426832
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 375738
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Richardson, A E , Regional Architecture of the West of England, (1924), 88
Thorp, J, 'Programme of Devon Buildings Group Summer Conference' in Programme of Devon Buildings Group Summer Conference, (1987)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing