LLOYDS BANK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1200900

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1993

Statutory Address: LLOYDS BANK, 5 AND 6, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LLOYDS BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200900 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 09:10:00.

Location

Statutory Address: LLOYDS BANK, 5 AND 6, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Bideford

National Grid Reference: SS 45404 26570

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIDEFORD

SS4526 HIGH STREET 842-1/5/100 (South side) Nos.5 AND 6 Lloyds Bank

GV II

Bank. 1892 by Arnold Thorne. Squared, brownish stone rubble with granite ashlar plinth and dressings of limestone (possibly Beer stone), the latter occupying most of the ground storey. Slate roof. No chimneys visible from street. Classical style with Tudor elements. 2 storeys with garret; 3-window front to High Street with 6-window return to Allhalland Street. Main ground-storey front and part of return front divided into bays by half-fluted Doric pilasters supporting and entablature. Doorway in left-hand bay to High Street round-arched with moulded archivolt springing from panelled and moulded imposts. Linking the imposts is stone panel incised with the word BANK; on the frieze above is another panel carved with foliage. The other bays contain small-paned metal windows of design reminiscent of Venetian windows. Second-storey windows plain with limestone surrounds, those to High Street with 2 mullioned lights. Fronts finished with a moulded cornice and tall parapet, from which rise 2 large triangular dormer gables, one to each front. Gable to High Street contains a pair of windows surmounted by a single segmental pediment; that to Allhalland Street has a Venetian window. At the left-hand end of the High Street front, above the doorway, the parapet is replaced by a circular panel with date 1892; triangular pediment on top, scrolls and panelled pedestals at either side. In centre of Allhalland Street front the ground storey has 2 windows with Doric columns as mullions: that to right of 6 lights, that to left of 2 lights. Small-paned glazing with metal bars. Upper-storey windows are of 2 lights with stone mullion; left-hand window of each storey has small-paned metal casements, the other plain wooden sashes. Rainwater pipe with good detailing. At left-hand end of this front is a gabled, 1-window staircase projection, wholly of limestone on a granite plinth. Ground storey has round-arched opening with hollow jambs; recessed doorway set in a shaped granite frame and with panelled door. Upper-storey windows have moulded sills, architraves and cornices, that in second storey also with keystone and pulvinated frieze. INTERIOR: only banking hall in ground storey inspected. This has C20 glazed partitions, but original cornices and square columns with enriched capitals survive.

Listing NGR: SS4540326568

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 375813

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing