TOWN HALL AND PUBLIC LIBRARY
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1200934
Date first listed: 19-Mar-1973
Date of most recent amendment: 19-Apr-1993
Statutory Address: TOWN HALL AND PUBLIC LIBRARY, NEW ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200934 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2019 at 03:52:53.
Statutory Address: TOWN HALL AND PUBLIC LIBRARY, NEW ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Torridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SS 45426 26453
SS4526 NEW ROAD 842-1/6/194 (West side) 19/03/73 Town Hall and Public Library (Formerly Listed as: NEW ROAD Town Hall) (Formerly Listed as: NEW ROAD Free Library)
Town Hall and Public Library. Rear part of Town Hall 1850. By RD Gould of Barnstaple, builder EM White of Bideford; front part and library 1905 by Alfred Dunn of Birmingham. Red brick with limestone detailing on squared stone rubble and ashlar bases; some coursed stone rubble in the less important parts of rear elevation. Slate roof; 1850 section with crested buff ridge-tiles. On original east gable-end of this section is a stone chimney with 3 octagonal shafts having crenellated tops. Plan: roughly L-shaped, with Gould's Town Hall, containing the court room on its upper floor, facing Bridge Street and Dunn's town hall on the New Road side containing the council chamber and mayor's room on the upper floor. The present entrance is under Gould's building, leading to the 1905 main staircase at the rear. The library lies at the S end of the New Road frontage. 2 storeys, except for single-storeyed library. Designed in early Tudor style, Dunn's work matching closely with Gould's. The latter's building is 4 windows wide with simple paired Tudor-arched windows in the ground storey. Upper storey has taller mullioned-and-transomed windows with traceried heads; above them a battlemented parapet. All windows have patterned leaded glazing. Between the windows in both storeys are buttresses with offsets, these finished with diagonally-set, crenellated pinnacles which rise above the parapet. On the splayed corner with Church Walk is an octagonal stone bell-turret with 2 tiers of trefoil-headed openings and a battlemented parapet. Lower down is an old stone coat-of-arms, probably taken from another building, flanked by a lion and a unicorn. Main elevation to Church Walk has a 4-light mullioned-and-transomed window similar in style to those facing Bridge Street but with 4 lozenges in place of a transom, each containing a quatrefoil and a shield. To the right of it is a 2-storeyed oriel window with Tudor-arched lights, and in the ground storey a segmental-headed doorway with MAGISTRATES ROOM painted on it in gold letters. On the S gable-end is a small stone tablet carved with an architect's compasses and set-square and initials R G . Dunn's extension continues Gould's design with 2 further bays, except that the windows have square lead lights. There are 2 rainwater-heads dated 1905. On the splayed corner with New Road is a turret similar to Gould's but with a crocketed dome in place of a parapet. At first-floor level, opening off the council chamber, is a corbelled stone balcony with a balustrade of open trefoil-headed panels. Below it is incised ALFRED DUNN, A.R.I.B.A., ARCHITECT, BIRMINGHAM and H. GLOVER & SON, BUILDERS, BIDEFORD. The gable-end to New Road has a 5-light canted, mullioned-and-transomed oriel in Gould's style, but with cinquefoil-headed panels below and quatrefoil ones above. Flanking it are 2 segmental-headed windows, each of 2 mullioned-and-transomed lights, the latter with cinquefoiled heads. To the left is a 4-storeyed entrance-tower, now serving only the library. It has massive battered buttresses and a tall battlemented parapet. On top is an octagonal turret with a patterned leaded base, the upper part with open trefoil-headed arches and an ogee leaded roof; set diagonally to the tower are 4 flying buttresses with crocketed pinnacles. The library is designed after the manner of a medieval hall with 3 mullioned and double-transomed windows, each of 3 Tudor-arched lights. The middle window is flanked by buttresses matching Gould's and above it, under a segmental-headed parapet, is a stone tablet inscribed FREE LIBRARY. At the left-hand end is a gabled projection containing a canted bay window similar to the other 3. On its parapet is a shield carved with the date 1905. INTERIOR: Gould's Courtroom has panelled rostrum at west end flanked by enclosed stair turrets; that to left has wooden open-well stair with thin chamfered balusters and newels. Turrets linked above rostrum by an open gallery with a patterned iron railing. The other 3 sides of room have open galleries on octagonal iron columns with fluting on the upper parts; wooden rails with turned balusters and newels. Fixed wooden benches, possibly original, under rear gallery and in the galleries themselves. Cambered panelled ceiling with moulded beams and flower-bosses. Dunn's Council Chamber is panelled with ceiling similar to that in Courtroom; original furniture with 1751 bell from the Old Bridge Hall. Main staircase probably of concrete; open-well with iron balusters, alternately thin square and turned ones, and scrolled newels. Library has an open timber roof. (Granville R: History of Bideford: Bideford: 1883-: 99, 102).
Listing NGR: SS4543226465
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 375905
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Granville, R, History of Bideford, (1883), 99, 102
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing