WAREHOUSE AT SX 7568 6970 WAREHOUSE AT SX 7568 6970 (FORMER RAILWAY GOODS SHED)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1200969

Date first listed: 22-Sep-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Sep-1992

Statutory Address: WAREHOUSE AT SX 7568 6970 (FORMER RAILWAY GOODS SHED), CHULEY ROAD

Statutory Address: WAREHOUSE AT SX 7568 6970, ST LAWRENCE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WAREHOUSE AT SX 7568 6970
WAREHOUSE AT SX 7568 6970 (FORMER RAILWAY GOODS SHED)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1200969 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 00:44:13.

Location

Statutory Address: WAREHOUSE AT SX 7568 6970 (FORMER RAILWAY GOODS SHED), CHULEY ROAD

Statutory Address: WAREHOUSE AT SX 7568 6970, ST LAWRENCE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Ashburton

National Park: DARTMOOR

National Grid Reference: SX 75685 69706

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHBURTON

SX7569 CHULEY ROAD 849-1/10/22 (West side (off)) 22/09/72 Warehouse at SX 7568 6970 (former railway goods shed) (Formerly Listed as: ST LAWRENCE LANE (West side) Goods shed of Dart Valley Railway to north west)

II

Former railway goods shed, now warehouse. Probably about 1872 with minor mid C20 addition. Stone rubble with red-brick arches. Slated roof. Stone chimney with red-brick dressings on SW corner. Single-storeyed building with large, opposing round-arched wagon entrances in N and S gable walls; that to N with sliding doors. Similar opening and doors for offloading goods on W side; pent-roofed wooden canopy above. Two 6-paned windows on E side. Boxed eaves-cornices; plain bargeboards. Small red-brick addition (probably an office) at SW corner. Interior: Kingpost-and-ridge roof. The Buckfastleigh, Totnes and South Devon Railway, a branch of the main line from Exeter to Plymouth, was opened in 1872. It ran from Totnes to Ashburton. The line was absorbed by the Great Western Railway in 1897 and closed in 1962. None of the other railway buildings at Ashburton are listed. (Kingdom AR: GWR: The Ashburton Branch: Oxford: 1977-: 6-7).

Listing NGR: SX7568569706

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 376003

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Kingdom, A R, GWR The Ashburton Branch, (1977), 6-7

End of official listing