CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201089

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1993

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201089 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 06:14:31.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness (District Authority)

Parish: Lindal and Marton

National Grid Reference: SD 24940 75836

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARROW IN FURNESS

SD2475 THE GREEN, Lindal In Furness 708-1/9/232 (West side) Church of St Peter

GV II

Church. 1885-86. By Ewan Christian (Pevsner) or James Murchie of Carlisle (archives). Red sandstone with graduated green slate roof. 4-bay nave with south porch and lean-to chapels; 2-bay chancel with north vestry and south organ chamber in transepts. Gothic Revival style; plate tracery; steep gables, all with ashlar copings and crosses. Nave: rock-faced plinth, buttresses with offsets between bays. Gabled porch with moulded, pointed arch, impost string course and hoodmould. Bays 2 & 3 each have 3 lancets, 2 trefoils and quatrefoil beneath pointed hoodmould; cavetto-moulded eaves band. Chapel to bay 4 lit by 3 separate lancets. North windows as south. West end: angled buttresses; pointed doorway and string course beneath large 3-light window with cinquefoil beneath hoodmould; gable slit. Over bay 4 a slate-hung and louvred belfry with pyramidical roof rising as an octagonal spirelet. Chancel: lower; transepts each have 3-light window of stepped lancets under hoodmould; bay 2 blind. Buttresses flank 3-light east window with Geometrical tracery and hoodmould. INTERIOR: double-chamfered arches into the chapels; nave roof with 3 bow-string trusses and scissor-braced common rafters. Twin columns on corbels support keeled chancel arch with floral carving and hoodmould. Chancel: boarded, barrel-vault ceiling. Original fitments: pews, communion rail, octagonal wooden pulpit with tracery and stone plinth, quatrefoil font on granite colonnettes. Foundation stone laid 11.7.1885, consecrated on same date 1886. The cost of 3,600 pounds met by the Duke of Buccleuch and others (Church guide). Buccleuch archives contain detailed correspondence with James Murchie of Carlisle regarding the building of the Church. He may have acted as executive architect to Christian but Murchie's final account refers to 'my designs'. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Lancashire: London: 1969-: 168; Buccleuch Papers: James Murchie/Accounts: 1885-1887: BD/BUC/50).

Listing NGR: SD2494075836

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 388615

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Lancashire, (1969), 168

End of official listing