THE FISHERMAN'S ARMS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1201112

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1951

Statutory Address: THE FISHERMAN'S ARMS, HIGHER MARKET STREET

Statutory Address: THE FISHERMAN'S ARMS, TOWER HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE FISHERMAN'S ARMS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201112 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 00:47:21.

Location

Statutory Address: THE FISHERMAN'S ARMS, HIGHER MARKET STREET

Statutory Address: THE FISHERMAN'S ARMS, TOWER HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Looe

National Grid Reference: SX 25594 53231

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LOOE

SX2453 HIGHER MARKET STREET, East Looe 857-1/4/24 (North East side) 19/03/51 The Fisherman's Arms

II*

Merchant's house, now public house. 1611 date in plasterwork to 2nd floor left-hand chamber. MATERIALS: render on timber-frame to steep pair of front gables carried on moulded oak corbels; dry slate roofs; painted rubble to side wall on right, rubble external lateral stack to right-hand return and rubble stack with brick shaft to rear gable. PLAN: deep plan including rear wing. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with 2nd floor partly in roof space; 2-window range; wide C17 3-light (internally ovolo-moulded) mullioned window within moulded architraves and with later casements with glazing bars to 2nd-floor gables; early C19 16-pane hornless sashes within moulded architraves to 1st floor. Ground floor has original central chamfered oak doorway with unusual original door with 2 small panels within 2 large panels flanked by original 2-light mullioned windows with fixed casements with glazing bars; early/mid C18 lights with thick glazing bars on the left; early/mid C18 lights with thick glazing bars on the left; late C18 or early C19 lights on the right. Right-hand return has C20 windows except for mid/late C19 8-pane sash towards right with C20 horned copy on its left. INTERIOR: original features include: front room: chamfered axial beams (3 bays) and joists; short section of original moulded plank and muntin screen right of entrance and some panelling visible under ovolo-moulded window on right. Central at rear of front range is pair of winder stairs with ships' spars as newels. Front attics have parts of original roof trusses visible; left-hand attic has rare original plasterwork to overmantle, including 1611 date. Original roof structure to rear wing on right with lap-dovetail collar joints to trusses. Rear left-hand parallel wing has early C19 roof structure with pegged collars (C16 or early C17 12-panel studded door stored in this attic at time of survey).

Listing NGR: SX2559453231

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 376408

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing