ABBEY GATEHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1201161
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
ABBEY GATEHOUSE, ABBEY PRECINCTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of ABBEY GATEHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201161 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 18:03:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
ABBEY GATEHOUSE, ABBEY PRECINCTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Tewkesbury
National Grid Reference:
SO 88972 32381

Details

TEWKESBURY

SO83SE ABBEY PRECINCTS 859-1/2/352 Abbey Gatehouse 04/03/52 (Formerly Listed as: ABBEY PRECINCTS Gatehouse to Abbey House)

GV I

Gatehouse to Benedictine Abbey precincts, modified for holiday use by Landmark Trust (1991). Late C15 or early C16. Guiting stone ashlar and lias, lead roof. PLAN: large square 2-storey gatehouse linked left to Abbey House (qv), and right to Abbey Barn (qv). EXTERIOR: wide pointed arch in 2 moulded orders with moulded drip beneath two 2-light cusped hollow-chamfered stone casements flanking central statue niche with decorative canopy. Boldly crenellated top above hollow-mould cornice with central angel and end gargoyles and 3 leaf decorations each side. Mid offset moulded string, diagonal buttresses to 2 offsets, plinth. Set back from outer opening approx 2.5m is doorway to 4-centred head in double-chamfer surround with heavy C19 doors, with small 4-centred opening and door in moulded surround, to left. Above is central ribbed vault with half-vault each side. Internal side walls in large coursed lias blocks. The inner, SE front is as outer, but without central statue niche, and with series of putlog holes each side of opening, which has no doors. Internally is vaulted roof in 1+2 half bays as outer vestibule. Side walls, in lias, contain small 4-centred doorways with plank doors in heavy flush quoin surrounds; that to right (SW) side gives to spiral stone stair contained in projecting ashlar turret on that side, the turret finishing below main parapet level. INTERIOR: one large room at first floor, with heavy beamed compartmental roof structure of 1950s reconstruction carried on series of carved corbels, mainly C19, but some C16. On NE wall a large dressed Guiting stone fireplace with moulded 4-centred arch, all brought forward from main wall plane. At time of survey being fitted with new oak partitions for Landmark Trust. VCH records that by 1849 the Gatehouse was badly dilapidated, and was then restored by John Medland, architect, with masonry by Thomas Collins; the carved oak doors are from 1855. (VCH: Gloucestershire: London: 1968-: 125).

Listing NGR: SO8897032378

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
376556
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1968), 125

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/04008/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Brookes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].