CHAPEL COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201199
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1952
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL COURT, 78, 79 AND 80, BARTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201199 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 17:26:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL COURT, 78, 79 AND 80, BARTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Tewkesbury
National Grid Reference:
SO 89342 32681

Details

TEWKESBURY

SO8932 BARTON STREET 859-1/6/68 (South side) 04/03/52 Nos.78, 79, AND 80 Chapel Court

GV II

Block of apartments, formerly the Star and Garter Inn. Dated 1715 on a rainwater head, with C19 fenestration. Flemish bond brickwork, partly timber-framed, tile roof. PLAN: A large property with wide central carriageway to a courtyard, wings each side. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attic and basement, 4-windowed. C20 lay-lights to roof, 16-pane sashes to brick voussoirs and stone cills at first and second floors, and at ground floor, in painted brickwork, a plate-glass square C19 pilaster shop front and a C20 glazed door in pedimented surround to the left, and a similar pedimented door and doorcase with 3-pane C19 shop front to the right. Between these is a wide opening to a cambered head, with C20 wrought-iron gates set to heavy door framing. There are alternating V-joint painted quoins each end, plain brick string above first floor, and brick dentil eaves. No stack is visible. The wide sash windows appear to have been set into openings formerly filled by narrower C18 windows, and the first floor originally had 5 or 7 bays, alternate bays having been blocked, but the voussoirs remain. To each side of the carriageway are plain brick walls, with a door to flats Nos 2-5 on the right. The back wall of the street block has a broad gable in brick, with large plate-glass sashes to concrete lintels. To the right of the carriage opening is a square lead downpipe, with a tripartite hopper-head carrying the 1715 date. Beyond this is a lower 2-storey wing, which continues, enclosing the courtyard, to a timber-framed end wall and return range. The wing to the W, in 2 floors, has a door flanked by tripartite sashes at ground floor, and above, built in to the walling, a good C18 or early C19 wood balustrade. On the E side, beyond the wing, is a small gabled cottage, now (January 1992) commercial premises. INTERIOR not inspected, but remodelled as apartments. This was an important inn in the town, but already closed by 1774. The modification to the street front, in which C18 sashes were either blocked, or replaced by wider 16-pane sashes in the early C19, is hard to explain; the result is an uncomfortable spacing of windows, with the outer sashes too close to the ends of the front. The property extended the full depth of the plot, to Swilgate Street at the rear, but later a Baptist Chapel was built near the rear of the site (now transformed into dwellings).

Listing NGR: SO8934232681

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
376654
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04619/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Brookes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].