Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201239.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2021 at 02:52:01.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Tewkesbury (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 89266 32710



SO8932 HIGH STREET 859-1/6/181 (West side) 04/03/52 No.1


House at end of street row. Early C18. Flemish bond brickwork, tile roof. A lofty narrow-frontage house with fine brick front; the body of the building is at an angle, following the burgage plot line, and returns to Tolzey Lane. 3 storeys, 3 close-set windows. 12-pane sashes, in central bay to segmental heads, and all to rubbed brick voussoirs with decorative keystone with cornice, on moulded stone cills. Ground floor has full-width C20 shop front. Above the stone modillion cornice is a large blind lunette in a moulded architrave, in a shaped parapet with moulded stone coping. The double roof, to a central valley, has hipped ends. Above the ground floor, centrally, is a clock cantilevered on an ornate wrought-iron bracket, presented by the Mayor, MC Smart, in 1883. The moulded parapet returns left for approx 4m over a plain brick wall, with one large 4-pane casement at the ground floor. Beyond this is a slightly curved section in 3 storeys to eaves, with two 12-pane sashes at second floor, and at first floor one sash plus 2 smaller lights to the left. Ground floor has a larger 12-pane sash to segmental head, a small square opening above a blocked doorway, and a C20 door under a large margin-pane transom-light and two C20 lights. The back is in 3 storeys, 2-windowed: all 12-pane sashes to voussoirs with fluted keystones and stone cills; at the ground floor is a wide opening to segmental head over plank door. INTERIOR not inspected. A 1900 photograph in the Museum shows an oculus with glazing bars and 3 urns to the parapet.

Listing NGR: SO8926632710


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07144/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Brookes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

User contributions are not fact checked and do not represent the official position of Historic England.

Request a correction of the list entry

Read the Enriching the List Terms and Conditions

For any other issue or if you need help, please email: [email protected]

Upcoming maintenance

Enriching The List will be unavailable on 7 & 8 December to allow us to prepare for the launch of an upgraded version.