This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1201331



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: County Durham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Barnard Castle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Nov-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388778

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



NZ0516SE NEWGATE 770-1/7/148 (North side (off)) 22/02/73 Chapel immediately east of Barnard Castle School (Formerly Listed as: NEWGATE (North side) Barnard Castle School Chapel)


School chapel with walls and steps attached. 1910-11. By WD Caroe; c1970 porch. Snecked stone with ashlar plinth and dressings; roof of small Cotswold slates. PLAN: 6-bay nave and sanctuary with shallow central ritual-north organ console bay, north-west porch, and west organ loft. Ritual east is geographical north. Free Perpendicular/ Arts-and-Crafts style. EXTERIOR: all windows have wide 2-centred arches, with elliptical tracery to transoms and cusped tracery to heads, except in outer lights which are cusped below and daggers above. Bays are defined by coped buttresses with offsets, and angles by full-height stepped buttresses with ogee gablets. East window has deep head to wide pointed arch springing from angle buttresses, with 2:3:2 lights separated by wide mullions rising above buttresses which stand free above sill level. 2-light louvred vent above has raised segmental moulded head. Console bay has gable parapet over single light in recessed panel with stepped head. Low panelled and studded door at east end of north elevation has band hinges of decorative wrought-iron. Double boarded south-west doors with elaborate wrought-iron hinges in segmental arch, and later porch has side buttresses flanking many-chamfered segmental head under low gable. West front has canted corners defined by angle buttresses, with shouldered head to undercroft door in south-west angle; west window has 1:3:1 lights, the central over high blind panel, recessed behind free-standing battlemented arch springing from angle buttresses. Paired chamfered rectangular lights in high undercroft. Roof has stone gutter spouts from high parapet with roll-moulded coping; gable coping; east stone cross finial. Low walls flanking steps to porch have chamfered stone coping. Pierced stone drain cover slabs set in ground below eaves spouts. INTERIOR: plaster with ashlar dressings and undercroft vault; waggon roof. West bay contains organ loft and entrance. Bays defined by pointed arched ribs with continuous wide, slightly hollowed chamfers and big broach stops; arches stand free from walls with ties at eaves level. Stone reredos with big billet moulding contains painting `Christ the Consoler' of 1848 by Scheffer, the gift in 1928 of WAH Hutton. Nave walls have high wood panelling with blind tracery and battlemented frieze, below eaves level stone parapets screening heating pipes. 4th bay north console gallery has stone parapet on stone tierceron vault; corresponding south choir gallery has shorter ribs supporting parapet. FURNISHINGS: include carved wood Perpendicular style altar; fluted stone piscina with aumbry; wood entrance screen; c1989 terracotta and Welsh slate floor. Baroque painted organ case by Father Willis rebuilt and installed 1927. STAINED GLASS: includes 1920 war memorial east window perhaps by H Wilkinson showing Christ in Glory above a Crucifixion; 1913 Richardson Memorial window by H Wilkinson with Caroe; choir window in thanksgiving for safe return of many from the Great War; porch left window represents John Baliol d.c1269, founder of the Hospital of St John, Barnard Castle, and the right Benjamin Flounders, 1769-1846; their trustees were the builders of the school. Much unsigned glass of high quality. (Hitchcock RC: The History of Barnard Castle School 1883-1933: 1933-).

Listing NGR: NZ0589516254

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hitchcock, RC , The History of Barnard Castle School 1883-1933, (1933)
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from

National Grid Reference: NZ 05895 16254


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201331 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 04:09:35.

End of official listing