8, CASTLE STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201367

Date first listed: 03-Apr-1973

Statutory Address: 8, CASTLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 8, CASTLE STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201367 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 08:18:28.

Location

Statutory Address: 8, CASTLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Buckingham

National Grid Reference: SP 69482 33854

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUCKINGHAM

SP6933 CASTLE STREET 879-1/6/25 (North side) 03/04/73 No.8

GV II

Cottage. Early C18, altered C19 and C20. Red brick in Flemish bond with flared headers. C20 plain-tile roof, brick end and front lateral stacks. 2-unit plan. 2 storeys and attic; 3-window range. Central 6-panel door with round-arched head and glazed top panels to arch, in C20 glazed conservatory porch. 3-light thin wood mullion and transom window to ground floor right with central casement and painted flat-arched brick head. 2-light casement to ground floor left and to 1st floor left and right, with similar heads. Blank 1st floor window with round-arched brick head. Small open pediment above framing 2-light casement with thin wood lintel. Rendered plinth with cellar window to left. Brick-coped parapets and pediment. Forms part of a group of 3 cottages with Nos 9 & 10 (qv) which have a strong resemblance to the Red Buildings built at the expense of Earl Cobham of Stowe after a disastrous fire in the town, which occurred 15 March 1725, rendering many families homeless. Those cottages stood in the old Cow Fair at the North End and were demolished 1866. Nos 8-10 are likely to have been built at the same time, perhaps as part of the same development.

Listing NGR: SP6948533857

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 377126

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing